[comp.sys.dec] QBUS SMD controllers

shaddock@rti.UUCP (Mike Shaddock) (01/24/89)

We are considering moving some CDC SMD/SMD-E disk drives from one of
our existing systems to a VAXstation II with BA123 enclosure and are
trying to decide on a QBUS SMD controller.  I've seen the literature
from Emulex, Dilog, and Aviv.  I would like to know what experiences
people on the net have had with any of these controllers, and if you
could recommend any others.  Please reply by mail, and if there is
enough interest I will summarize for the net.  Any experiences with
SMD controllers for a VAXstation 3xxx machine would also be
appreciated, since we may use one of those instead of a VAXstation II.

Thanks,
Mike Shaddock
--
Mike Shaddock	{decvax,seismo,ihnp4,philabs}!mcnc!rti!shaddock
		shaddock@rti.rti.org

"You're in a twisty maze of sendmail rules, all obscure."

johnd@physiol.su.oz (John Dodson) (01/25/89)

In article <2744@rti.UUCP>, shaddock@rti.UUCP (Mike Shaddock) writes:
> We are considering moving some CDC SMD/SMD-E disk drives from one of
> our existing systems to a VAXstation II with BA123 enclosure and are
> trying to decide on a QBUS SMD controller.  I've seen the literature
> from Emulex, Dilog, and Aviv.  I would like to know what experiences
> people on the net have had with any of these controllers, and if you
> could recommend any others.  Please reply by mail, and if there is
> enough interest I will summarize for the net.  Any experiences with
> SMD controllers for a VAXstation 3xxx machine would also be
> appreciated, since we may use one of those instead of a VAXstation II.

I know that there have been a lot of problems with many 3rd party controllers
in uvax 3's (read vaxstation/vaxserver 3XXX) the problems I think are
mainly that the controller microcode is either too slow or not quite doing
Q-bus transactions perfectly (a la DEC ;-)

The Webster WQSMD is a 2 drive quad height controller with on board
formatting/diagnostics, it emulates a dec mscp controller & allows you
to name discs ( eg RA80, RA81, etc )
Documentation is good, (full circuit diagrams included, no microcode listing;-)

AND It does work properly on uvax 3's !!!

There is also an ESDI version of the same controller (WQESDI) controlling
4 drives. (they should by now also have a VMEbus version ;-)

Enquiries can probably be directed to postmaster@wcc.oz
or
	Webster Computer Corporation,
	1270 Ferntree Gully Road,
	Scoresby, Vic. 3179
	Australia

johnd@physiol.su.oz

I have no pecuniary interest in Webster Computer Corporation, I just use
lots of their controllers !

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (01/30/89)

In article <505@physiol.su.oz>, johnd@physiol.su.oz (John Dodson) writes:

> I know that there have been a lot of problems with many 3rd party controllers
> in uvax 3's (read vaxstation/vaxserver 3XXX) the problems I think are
> mainly that the controller microcode is either too slow or not quite doing
> Q-bus transactions perfectly (a la DEC ;-)

  Some of us had and reported such problems with Emulex controllers.  I, spe-
  cifically, had even bigger problems attempting to resolve these hassles with
  Emulex, who first denied the problem and then played games with me for 5 mths
  until I invoked our company's attorney.

  The Dilog controllers that we now use work fine.

  Make sure that the controller card is designed specifically for the uVAX 3xxx
  enclosures....

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

paulw@wcc.oz (Paul Williams) (02/03/89)

In article <505@physiol.su.oz>, johnd@physiol.su.oz (John Dodson) writes:

> The Webster WQSMD is a 2 drive quad height controller with on board
> There is also an ESDI version
> Enquiries can probably be directed to postmaster@wcc.oz

Please direct all enquiries regarding WCC Q Bus and Unibus Controllers
to Paul Williams (see signature).

For U.S.A. enquiries contact Michael Georgeoff,1037 North Fair Oaks Ave,
Sunnyvale CA94089. Phone 408 745 0660 Fax 408 745 1162 Telex 172943.

For European enquiries contact Robert Paul, 42 Maltings Close, Baldock,
Herts, SG7 6RU, United Kingdom.Phone 44 462 893304 Fax 44 462 896187 .

			    ---------
Paul Williams, paulw@wcc.oz	|
Webster Computer Corp. P/L	|
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd. 3179	|