[comp.sys.dec] Dec DF03 Modem

jpb@valkyrie.UUCP (Joe Block) (02/04/89)

A friend of mine loaned me a DEC DF03 modem that he got 3rd or 4th hand,
without documentation of any kind.  I am trying to connect it to an AT&T
Unix PC, and would appreciate it if someone out there in netland could
give me some information about it (Like, what baud rate is it?), cable
pinouts, commands, etc.  If someone has the documentation for it and is
willing to Xerox it, I'd really appreciate it (I'll mail you a SASE).
If anyone has already got one working on a 7300/3b1, I'd appreciate it
if you'd mail me instructions on how to do it.  (Note: This is a repost
of an earlier article that I believe was lost due to problems with my
newsfeed--if the earlier article did get out, sorry for reposting this)

JB
--
Joe Block
uucp: ncar!umigw!\
                  >umbio!{jpb,valkyrie!jpb,valkyrie!root}
           gould!/

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (02/06/89)

In article <689@valkyrie.UUCP> jpb@valkyrie.UUCP (Joe Block) writes:
>A friend of mine loaned me a DEC DF03 modem that he got 3rd or 4th hand,
>without documentation of any kind.  I am trying to connect it to an AT&T
>Unix PC, and would appreciate it if someone out there in netland could
>give me some information about it (Like, what baud rate is it?), cable
>pinouts, commands, etc.
>Joe Block
>uucp: ncar!umigw!\
>                  >umbio!{jpb,valkyrie!jpb,valkyrie!root}
>           gould!/

I don't have any documentation handy for the DF03 modem I have used either,
but I know that there are several configuration DF03's.  They are generally
0-300,1200 baud.  Some have autodialers in them, and are much less than
smart modems (ie. they have little if no "brains" in them).  If your
modem does have a dialer, it is initiated and ended with some control
sequence (I forget it now).

The pinout on the "cable" is standard RS232, and should be easy to get hooked
to a UNIX-pc.  I suspect you'll only be able to use it for dial-in though.
You'd be better off using the on-board modem on the UNIX-pc than the DF03.
The DF03 really gives you no extra features than the one in your machine
already.

-------
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.          U-Net: {decuac,boulder,talcott,sbcs}!icus!limbic!gil
ICUS Software Systems      Voice: (516) 968-6860 [H]   (516) 746-2350 x219 [W]
P.O. Box 1                 Internet:  gil@icus.islp.ny.us
Islip Terrace, NY  11752   "Life's a ...  well, you know..."

lp@decvax.dec.com (Larry Palmer) (02/08/89)

-------
Joe,
	The baud rate is 1200. Gil was correct in stateing that
a DF03 has little or no "brains" in them but it is a pretty old
modem. To initiate a conversation use ^B. It will not respond
but at this point is ready to take a phone number. The phone
number is input and as each value comes in it is used (numbers
should be presented with apx 1/2-1 second between numbers).
It continues to take numbers until no more are presented
and then waits for 30 seconds or so for the call to complete.
If the call is successful an "A" is returned (for attached)
and a "B" (I believe) is returned is busy. The modem uses a
standard rs-232 cable. The buttons on the front are pretty
much as one would expect. Also there are variants which do
not dial (auto answer only). If you try the ^B deal and
it does nothing you probably have an answer only modem.

Larry

---   Larry Palmer		 Ultrix Networking/AD
---   Digital Equipment Corporation
---   Nashua, New Hampster
---   ... One of the fathers of PMAX ...