[comp.sys.dec] dec to ibm

JET3@PSUVM.BITNET (02/28/89)

Let's try this again with a little more information.  I have a person here
who would like to transfer their DEC files to an IBM.  Here are the details
that I could find out from her:

 1. The DEC is a Digital Decmate II, PC 278-A, keyboard LK201BA.  The
    system has two 5.25" floppy drives.

 2. The IBM is an IBM PS/2 Model 50Z, with one 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy drive.

Well, what do you think, is it easy? convertable? Let me know at
JET3@PSUVM.   Thank you all of you for your previous responses.

Jean Thompson

curci@stat.uucp (Ray Curci (scri)) (02/28/89)

In article <73511JET3@PSUVM> JET3@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Let's try this again with a little more information.  I have a person here
>who would like to transfer their DEC files to an IBM.  Here are the details
>that I could find out from her:
> 1. The DEC is a Digital Decmate II, PC 278-A, keyboard LK201BA.  The
>    system has two 5.25" floppy drives.
> 2. The IBM is an IBM PS/2 Model 50Z, with one 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy drive.
>Jean Thompson

You may want to investigate putting KERMIT on both systems and attaching them
with a serial cable.  KERMIT at 9600 bps works quite well and is very
inexpensive.  You should be able to fetch the KERMIT software using
anonymous/ftp from c.columbia.edu.  A more expensive alternative is to
attach a 5+1/4" disk to your PS/2 (I am unfamiliar with the decmate but
assume it is an ibm pc/xt/at compatible machine?)  I have added a Businessland
5+1/4" high density 5+1/4" external floppy disk drive to a ps/2 model 50z
before.  The kit has a cable that plugs in where nomally your drive b: would
be on the ps/2 that runs to a special card.  There is a cable that attaches
to the back of the card that goes to a separate enclosure for the 5+1/4"
disk.  This kit costs around $400 or so.  For ocassional use, Kermit is
probably the best answer.  Kermit will allow you to transfer both text and
binary files, etc.   You can place one PC in a server mode and execute all
commands from the other system.  Kermit for the PC also has a DEC vt102
emulation mode for using your pc as a terminal, etc.

Good luck!

ray curci
fsu supercomputer institute
curci@nu.cs.fsu.edu,  curci@stat.fsu.edu

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (03/01/89)

From article <7417@pyr.gatech.EDU>, by curci@stat.uucp (Ray Curci (scri)):
> In article <73511JET3@PSUVM> JET3@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>>Let's try this again with a little more information.  I have a person here
>>who would like to transfer their DEC files to an IBM.  Here are the details
>>that I could find out from her:
>> 1. The DEC is a Digital Decmate II, PC 278-A, keyboard LK201BA.  The
>>    system has two 5.25" floppy drives.
>> 2. The IBM is an IBM PS/2 Model 50Z, with one 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy drive.
>>Jean Thompson
>
> You may want to investigate putting KERMIT on both systems and attaching them
> with a serial cable.  KERMIT at 9600 bps works quite well and is very
> inexpensive.  You should be able to fetch the KERMIT software using
> anonymous/ftp from c.columbia.edu.  A more expensive alternative is to
> attach a 5+1/4" disk to your PS/2 (I am unfamiliar with the decmate but
> assume it is an ibm pc/xt/at compatible machine?)

Really, you shouldn't post if you're "unfamiliar" with one of the machines.
The DECMate, vanilla--without a Z80 board, has no operating system--it is
generally used as a proprietary word processing system.  Text, as I
understand it, isn't even stored in ascii on the floppies...  KERMIT doesn't
exist for it.

The DECMate does have a built-in communication package--I've been able to
talk to other machines (RAW mode, no protocol) and even upload files from
the DECMate to the host.  The problem with this is that users are used to
having their DECMate bolding, underlining, ruler lines, etc. all go to another
word processing system intact.  DEC sells a product to allow a WPS to WPS
(the internal word processing system) transfer to occur which will preserve
all this.  I've forgotten the product's name, but I know it exists for
the VAX VMS and, of course, for the DECMate.

With no money, no VAX, but a lot of time on your hands you might do what
I did.  Since the DECMate is not programmable, and since I wanted the
output document, I wrote a program to capture output from the printer
port.  This is a bit nasty, maybe even silly, but it worked for me.  One
thing you have to do, however, is respond to the frequent printer queries
that are sent by the DECMate to tell if the printer is still active and
alive (DEC printers can talk back if given response queries).  The code
wasn't trivial--don't try this unless you're very comfortable building
escape sequence recognizers and communication programs.

(Of course, when you're all done you have a file with ANSI escape sequences
in it--on to another filter!)
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (03/01/89)

>You should be able to fetch the KERMIT software using
>anonymous/ftp from c.columbia.edu.

KERMSRV at CUVMA for bitnet people, and I believe a uucp site at okstate.

>attach a 5+1/4" disk to your PS/2 (I am unfamiliar with the decmate but
>assume it is an ibm pc/xt/at compatible machine?)

The DECmate II is a PDP-8 on a chip.

.
.
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)

bekele@fsadmn.dec.com (DTN: 435-5387/2817) (03/02/89)

<...!arizona!naucse!jdc> <CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet> writes:

> Really, you shouldn't post if you're "unfamiliar" with one of the machines.
> The DECMate, vanilla--without a Z80 board, has no operating system--it is
> generally used as a proprietary word processing system.

The originals were the "WT78" & "WS78".  With an 8" floppy drives, they were
for the most part word processing "workstations". Latter the VT278 was added
and that machine, called DECmate I, ran both the word processing package
(WPS-8) as well as "COS-310, an operating system, I am certain, a few "old
time" readers of this file fondly remember.

Latter, DEC packaged the DECmate I into a smaller PC-like box with 5 1/4"
drives (optionally a Winchester drive with 5/10/20 meg) that you could put
a Z80 card (or an XPU card) to run CP/M inaddition to the aformentioned.
This machine is known as DECmate II.  There is, yet, a smaller box that runs
the same software as the DMII called DECmate III.

With the exception of the WT78 all DECmate versions run COS-310 and you
could write code using DIBOL for these machines.

Now that we have gotten our "DEChistory" straight, back to the original
question:

> In article <73511JET3@PSUVM> JET3@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>>Let's try this again with a little more information.  I have a person here
>>who would like to transfer their DEC files to an IBM....

What are you trying to transfer?  WPS-8 documents? COS-310 files? CP/M
files? DOS files?

pechter@scr1.UUCP (03/04/89)

>From article <7417@pyr.gatech.EDU>, by curci@stat.uucp (Ray Curci (scri)):
> In article <73511JET3@PSUVM> JET3@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Let's try this again with a little more information.  I have a person here
>who would like to transfer their DEC files to an IBM.  Here are the details
>that I could find out from her:
> 1. The DEC is a Digital Decmate II, PC 278-A, keyboard LK201BA.  The
>    system has two 5.25" floppy drives.
> 2. The IBM is an IBM PS/2 Model 50Z, with one 3.5" 1.44Mb floppy drive.
>Jean Thompson

There's a company in California (Exceptional Business Solutions, or something
like that) that has a word processor called "WPS-PC" which also has the
DEC dx protocol file transfer built in.  This will take the WPS-8 word
processing files and tranfer them to the PC -- keeping the formatting intact.

Also, they'll translate it to straight DOS ascii from their WPS-PC format
from within WPS-PC.

--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757