[comp.sys.dec] DEC3100 + Terminal Servers

jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP (Blaine Robertson) (03/29/89)

Is anybody on the net using a DECstation 3100 connected to a number of
dumb terminals via ethernet and terminal servers?  I realize that
connection of peripherals via terminal servers is normal in the product
line, but dont know of anyone doing so on a 3100.

It seems to me that a 3100 configured this way would provide a person
with more price/performance than a box from the traditional VAX line.
Of course, you must live within the box's hardware limitations, given that
the 3100 has no expansion bus like the VAX family boxes.

If someone is already doing something like this, their comments on performance
and possible pitfalls would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Blaine Robertson
Federal Express, Memphis, TN
[..!mirror!premise, ..gatech!emcard]!fedeva!jbr0871
--

jg@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (03/30/89)

In article <443@fedeva.UUCP> jbr0871@fedeva.UUCP (Blaine Robertson) writes:

>Is anybody on the net using a DECstation 3100 connected to a number of
>dumb terminals via ethernet and terminal servers?  I realize that
>connection of peripherals via terminal servers is normal in the product
>line, but dont know of anyone doing so on a 3100.

Yup.  It's called the DECsystem 3100, announced a week or two ago.  If your
disk and tape needs don't exceed the amount you can hang on the machine, it
will do just fine.  Terminals can be hooked up via LAT, or your favorite
TCP/IP terminal server.

So just go talk to your Digital salesman....

Larger systems are coming... :-)  But of course, I can't talk about them
(yet).

			- Jim Gettys