[comp.sys.dec] Does any one use a DEC PDP-11/03 anymore?

brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) (03/25/89)

I know what you are going to say, "GOD, why?"

I have aquired one of these things and I wonder what is available software and
hardware wise. Can I run unix, can I run a bbs, what can I do with this thing.

--
Brian Sheets KA7KDX                                 "I'll be back"
19730 SW Prospect Ln.

jimw@guardian.UUCP (Jim Willing) (03/29/89)

In article <13238@sequent.UUCP>, brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) writes:
> Can I run unix, can I run a bbs, what can I do with this thing.

What can you run?

BBS: sure, RT-11 would do fine...
??IX: yes, but only if you upgrade the processor to a '23 or '73

And yes, people do still use them...  I can say that, I have one.

--
usually found at:   ..tektronix!tessi!bucket!jimw   | Any Vax 750 that is
              or:   .. tessi!bucket!guardian!jimw   | to be thrown out in

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (04/01/89)

In article <13238@sequent.UUCP> brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) writes:
>I know what you are going to say, "GOD, why?"
>
>I have aquired one of these things and I wonder what is available software and
>hardware wise. Can I run unix, can I run a bbs, what can I do with this thing.

Use it as an end table or workbench :-) :-)

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

shevett@labii.UUCP (Dave Shevett) (04/01/89)

In article <248@guardian.UUCP> jimw@guardian.UUCP (Jim Willing) writes:
>In article <13238@sequent.UUCP>, brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) writes:
>> Can I run unix, can I run a bbs, what can I do with this thing.
>
>BBS: sure, RT-11 would do fine...
>??IX: yes, but only if you upgrade the processor to a '23 or '73

Also have to make sure you have a serious bus.  The 03 is one of dem dere
16 bit devices, and can only address 32k words of memory.  To run any
flavor of *nix, you'll need a chunk o RAM - that means going to 22 bit, and
forking over megabucks (at least for the common hobbiest).

>And yes, people do still use them...  I can say that, I have one.

Me too!  Running a nice drive subsystem I yanked out of an AED system (8"
drive, acting like 2 RL02's) and a pseudo-non-dec-RX02.  BTW - I'd love to
beef my system to a 23 (it's a happy 18 bit bus), and fire up RSTS v9.4
under this (for development with my customers), but I'm having trouble
addressing the RLV11 as the second controller.  Can anyone tell me what the
correct CSR and preferable vector is for this card?  As I understand it,
RSTS is very picky about where the floating vector is...

| Dave Shevett   ~---------------------~    Labyrinth II BBS    |
| W. Trenton, NJ | Have you made your  |   shevett@labii.UUCP   |
| (609) 883-9352 | saving throw today? |  --------------------  |
|   1200/2400    ~---------------------~ 3b1ish and proud of it |

hamill@sky.COM (John Hamill) (04/01/89)

In article <13238@sequent.UUCP> brians@sequent.UUCP (Brian Sheets) writes:
>I know what you are going to say, "GOD, why?"
>
>I have aquired one of these things and I wonder what is available software and
>hardware wise. Can I run unix, can I run a bbs, what can I do with this thing.

	Well, Brian, it will make a nice, if not bulky paperweight! I used
a PDP-11/03 at ULowell to learn macro-11 assembly, maybe you could brush up
on your assembly skills. As far as I know, it will run RT-11, and a friend
of mine did have a bulletin board set up on his, (he had an old Heathkit
PDP-11). If it's a Q-bus PDP-11, there are all kinds of aftermarket boards
you can buy for it, memory upgrade, A/D, D/A etc,. You can't run unix as
far as I know, in fact the only thing I have ever seen run on an 11/03 was
RT-11. You might be able to run RSX-11 on it also. The 11/03 is pretty similiar
to the more usefull 11/23, except it only supports 16-bit address and the
instruction set is more limited, there's no mult or div commands. You may
be able to add the EIS chip though. But hell, if you have a Q-bus box,
junk the PDP-11, and buy a microvaxII cpu board and a disk drive, and
own your own microvax!

J. Hamill  Electrical Engineering    | "If the budget's down, remove the
University of Lowell                 |  light bulbs!"   "It's the Duke's
Lowell, MA                           |  fault!"

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (04/02/89)

We (housemates and I) have two PDP 11/04's, but have no drives...
Such is life.  Anyone want to give away a PDP drive?  (RK05 or
something?)  :-)

Deven
--
------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu ------- Deven Thomas Corzine ---------------------