[comp.sys.dec] SIXEL to PostScript converter wanted !!

marcel@dx7.UUCP (Marcel Bernards) (03/30/89)

Hello there NetBoys,

Is there anyone who has a SIXEL to PostScript converter
script/program/Fortran-source/.. running on VAX-VMS

If there is someone on the net with such a beast, please
E-mail to :

peterV%ecn.uucp@nluug.nl
or SURFNET:
   ETI001::PETER
or EARN/BITNET:
   ESU0122@HPEENRR51

Greetings from:

Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: 09 312246 4342 EARN/BITNET:ESU0130@HPEENR51
IP: marcel%ecn.uucp@nluug.nl UUCP: marcel@ecn.uucp,marcel%ecn.uucp@uunet.uu.net
SCREAMNet : AAAAAARGHH!HUH?? : Disclaimer: "The AntiChrist is the Computer !"
--

rr@csun8.cs.uh.edu (Ravindran Ramachandran) (04/02/89)

In article <175@dx7.UUCP> marcel@dx7.UUCP (Marcel Bernards) writes:

>Hello there NetBoys,
>
>Is there anyone who has a SIXEL to PostScript converter
>script/program/Fortran-source/.. running on VAX-VMS
>
>If there is someone on the net with such a beast, please
>E-mail to :
>
>peterV%ecn.uucp@nluug.nl
>or SURFNET:
>   ETI001::PETER
>or EARN/BITNET:
>   ESU0122@HPEENRR51

Marcel,
    I picked up this article from comp.os.vms:

In article <8903301217.AA17336@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU<> T_WADE%ccvax.ucd.ie@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU ("Tom Wade, Systems") writes:
<>Many thanks to the people who sent me a copy of sxlps.c, a program to convert
<>from Sixel to Postscript that was apparently posted to Info-Vax some time
<>ago. It is available from utadnx.cc.utexas.edu, but not being directly
<>connected to the Internet I cannot confirm this. If anyone needs it and
<>can't get it there, I will post them a copy.
<>
<>Regards.
<>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
<>Tom Wade             Internet:  T.Wade@cc.ucd.ie
<>Systems Programmer   PSI:       PSI%+27243154000712::T.WADE
<>Computer Center      Telex:     (0500) 91178 UCD EI  ("TO: WADE " at start)
<>University College   Voice:     +353-1-693244 Ext 2032.
<>Belfield             Janet:     t.wade%cc.ucd.ie@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY
<>Dublin 4.            Bitnet:    T.WADE@CC.UCD.IE  or T.WADE@CCVAX.bitnet
<>Ireland
<>-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if this answers your request, as you might want only a Fortran
source or DCL procedure. If you have trouble with not having a C compiler,
please send me an email; I could try to compile it for you.

Another request that I have posted before. Does anybody else have anything that
does the inverse? I want to convert either a dvi file (the output from TeX,
LaTeX) to Sixels, or,  a Postscript file to Sixels. Doesn't anybody in the
whole wide world ever have had a need for this before :-?  The previous
device drivers to achieve this. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no clue as to
how to go about achieving this.

     -- Ravi.

 Internet : rr@sun2.cs.uh.edu             |          System Administrator
          : rr@csv1.cs.uh.edu             |          TCSUH, 617 SR1
 CSNET    : rr@houston.edu                |          University of Houston
 BITNET   : coschmd@uhvax1.bitnet         |          4800, Calhoun
                                          |          Houston, TX - 77204.

Disclaimer :  The opinions mentioned here are purely my own (most of the time);
              however, sometimes my opinions are not THAT pure.

hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (04/03/89)

In article <3482@uhnix1.uh.edu> rr@csun1.cs.uh.edu writes:

>Another request that I have posted before. Does anybody else have anything that
>does the inverse? I want to convert either a dvi file (the output from TeX,
>LaTeX) to Sixels, or,  a Postscript file to Sixels. Doesn't anybody in the
>whole wide world ever have had a need for this before :-?

    PostScript to anything is very difficult.  It is a very complex page
    description language.  Also, you would need to have the font description
    information (which, of course will cost an arm and a leg from Adobe, if
    you can get it at all).

    Of course, you could always do a small subset of it...

    John Hascall