[comp.sys.dec] Disk Drives for RD controller on UVAX II

mike@ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) (04/18/89)

I would like to find out if anyone manufactures a disk drive
that will work with the DEC RQD controller in a uVAX II.  Hopefully
I would like to find something around 200 to 300 MB.

Thanks

mdg@macs.UUCP (Mark Griffith) (04/20/89)

In article <12158@ut-emx.UUCP>, mike@ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) writes:
> I would like to find out if anyone manufactures a disk drive
> that will work with the DEC RQD controller in a uVAX II.  Hopefully
> I would like to find something around 200 to 300 MB.

We have been using 2 MAXTOR XT-4280E drives on our uVAX II for some time
and have never had any problems.  These drives format to 280 Mbytes and
are used in conjunction with an SDC-RQD11-EC disk controller from Sigma
Information Systems (where we got the drives also).  If you need it, we
also use an SA-H112 drive mounting chassis (with power supply) for these
two drives....also available from Sigma.

If you need the address:

	Sigma Information Systems
	13101 N.W. Freeway, Suite 108
	Houston TX  77040

	(713) 690-8011

Mark

UUCP: mdg@macs
BITNET: GRIFFITH@STETSON

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (04/22/89)

In article <21187625@macs.UUCP>, mdg@macs.UUCP (Mark Griffith) writes:

> In article <12158@ut-emx.UUCP>, mike@ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) writes:
> > I would like to find out if anyone manufactures a disk drive
> > that will work with the DEC RQD controller in a uVAX II.  Hopefully
> > I would like to find something around 200 to 300 MB.
> >

> We have been using 2 MAXTOR XT-4280E drives on our uVAX II for some time
> and have never had any problems.  These drives format to 280 Mbytes and
> are used in conjunction with an SDC-RQD11-EC disk controller from Sigma
> Information Systems (where we got the drives also).  If you need it, we
> also use an SA-H112 drive mounting chassis (with power supply) for these
> two drives....also available from Sigma.

We have the Maxtor XT-8760 which has 620 meg formatted, and the Sigma
controller, but Mike would like to use his existing RQD controller.
I don't know of any that works with the RQD.
If you can afford the extra cost of the Sigma controller (~ $1200) the
combination is well worth it.  It is a pretty fast (ESDI) drive, and
the controller has a 1 Meg cache to help out.  Pretty nice.
And, you basically plug it in and go.  The protocol on the bus side is TMSCP,
so it works fine with either VMS or Ultrix with no special drivers needed.

Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

We don't need no stinking signatures!