[comp.sys.dec] DEC 3100 drive question???

rogden@uceng.UC.EDU (rob ogden) (04/23/89)

The Aerospace Eng. department is considering several DECstation 3100s.
Does anyone have experience with drives other than those sold
by DEC?
I would appreciate hearing from those with experience in this matter.
Items of concern I feel would be;
1) compatibility, who makes useable SCSI drives? are any and all useable?
2) cabinet and power supply (assuming external)
3) cables and connectors, are these uniquely DEC?
4) Does DEC provide programs to format a drive from ground zero?
5) Did you find this alternative to be worth the effort in both time and
   materials?

Please email your reply. I will post a summary.
Thanks,
Rob Ogden, rogden@uceng.uc.edu
           uccba!uceng!rogden

jwg1@bunny.gte.com (James W. Gish) (04/25/89)

According to our local DEC salesman, there are currently no third
party drives available for the 3100, i.e., you might call it
pseudo-SCSI.

--
Jim Gish
GTE Laboratories, Inc., Waltham, MA

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (04/25/89)

In article <JWG1.89Apr24142605@bunny.gte.com> jwg1@bunny.gte.com (James W. Gish) writes:
>According to our local DEC salesman, there are currently no third
>party drives available for the 3100, i.e., you might call it
>pseudo-SCSI.

Your local DEC salesman is probably wrong.  We're getting CDC Wren V's
for ours.  I know that others are using those particular drives with
success on the DECstation 3100.

--Pat.

abstine@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) (04/25/89)

From article <JWG1.89Apr24142605@bunny.gte.com>, by jwg1@bunny.gte.com (James W. Gish):
> According to our local DEC salesman, there are currently no third
> party drives available for the 3100, i.e., you might call it
> pseudo-SCSI.

The SCSI in the 3100's is indeed ANSI SCSI. Your DEC rep is giving you a load
of bull. Owners of 3100's out there are putting normal SCSI drives in
their machines. Note that some of the older SCSI drives may not work, but
certainly if you go to CDC (Imprisis) or Maxtor, the drives should work fine.
Also note that DEC did not make the RZ series drives, they are from other
manufacturers, so if you were to get ahold of the same drive from the OEM,
then you would even have drives which match the same DEC drive #'s. It
is my understanding that the VAXstation-3100 under VMS will only support the
RZ drive types because of the VMS driver (to be fixed in the next release of
VMS??).

art stine
sr network engineer
clarkson u

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/25/89)

In article <JWG1.89Apr24142605@bunny.gte.com>, jwg1@bunny.gte.com (James W. Gish) writes:

> According to our local DEC salesman, there are currently no third
> party drives available for the 3100, i.e., you might call it
> pseudo-SCSI.

Of course this is not true.  Or maybe you were tongue-in-cheek?  You just
need to find a SCSI drive that sticks to the specs.  We've run quite
a few different company's SCSI devices.  There was a discussion of
this in comp.unix.ultrix a while back.  Perhaps someone who saved the info
could send it to you?  I am cross-posting this reply to there.

I am not in the above recommending nor guaranteeing nor suggesting any
non-Digital SCSI interface.  Nor am I writing for Digital.

Fred

In article <2670@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:
> In article <JWG1.89Apr24142605@bunny.gte.com>, jwg1@bunny.gte.com (James W. Gish) writes:
> > According to our local DEC salesman, there are currently no third
> > party drives available for the 3100, i.e., you might call it
> > pseudo-SCSI.
>
> Of course this is not true.  Or maybe you were tongue-in-cheek?  You just
> need to find a SCSI drive that sticks to the specs.  We've run quite
> a few different company's SCSI devices.  There was a discussion of
> this in comp.unix.ultrix a while back.  Perhaps someone who saved the info
> could send it to you?  I am cross-posting this reply to there.

It is worth pointing out that the SCSI standard is pretty successful at
standardizing the hardware connection level (Apple excepted), but even
with CCS (common command set) the software compatibility has a lot of
problems.  Sure the sequences for reading and writing are fairly uniform,
but the sequences required required for "formatting" the drives, using
bad block substitution, power up initialization vary widely.  Also the
values returned for reading capacity and geometry seem subject to random
intrepretation.

The general procdure for writing a SCSI driver is therefore to take a
crack a writing a "generic SCSI" driver and then special case it until
it works with each of the drives you feel your company is likely to use
or that you have lying around and want to work.

As a result, you can usually expect the same model drives, with the
same or later ROM revision and hopefully their successors to work, but
expect a new and random drive to work only somebody not only claims it
works, but can demonstrate such from taking it from the box, formatting
and using it.

I suspect that once the "word" gets around about which drives do work
and/or what tricks are required, the third party types will have lots
of them.  It takes a while.

Chip_N_Oliver@cup.portal.com (04/26/89)

In <JWG1.89Apr24142605@bunny.get.com> jwg1@bunny.get.com writes:

> According to our local DEC salesman, there are currently no third
> party drives available for the 3100, i.e., you might call it
> pseudo-SCSI.

Your going to believe a DEC salesman about 3rd party drives (even if
he knew what he was talking about)?  My recollection is that the
3100 SCSI bus is SUPPOSED to be as standard as SCSI can get (whatever
the H**L that means.  In other words, just like any other 'standard'
SCSI bus, SOME SCSI drives will work.  The problem may be (as it always
was in the past) is whether DEC is going to give you the facilities
to format the drive - i.e. are they going to let you enter the drive
geometries into the format utility or do you just specify "RZnn"?
Of course you could always write you own formatter using the 'standard
SCSI command set' (this actually would be feasible).

One thing you can be sure of, the 3rd party guys are working on solutions,
whatever they may be.  Of course their prices, like always, will be somewhere
between DECs outrageousness and rolling your own.

Chip Oliver                           coliver@cup.portal.com
Lockheed Missiles & Space             sun!portal!cup.portal.com!coliver

                 This line left Internationally Blank

rsp@decvax.dec.com (Ricky Palmer - (603)881-0370 - ZK3-3/T74) (04/28/89)

-------
You should know that although our current SCSI code for the DS3100 is
far from perfect as far as "genericness" goes we're making every effort
now and for the future to tend toward "genericness". I took a first and
I mean first stab at it last summer when I wrote the DS3100 code by
defining some configuration bit fields to tell the driver to try
things like synchronous versus asynchronous and the like, but I admit
that it has a ways to go before it allows person A to hook up any
SCSI peripheral B and have A and B plus the DS3100 all be happy! It's
not a trivial feat by any means, but we're trying!!!!

---   Ricky Palmer	 Ultrix Advanced Development
---   Digital Equipment Corporation
---   Nashua, New Hampshire
---   ... One of the fathers of PMAX ...