[comp.sys.dec] lightweight tasking on the PMAX

dgeorge@svax.cs.cornell.edu (David George) (05/09/89)

I'm trying to port ISIS, a distributed programming environment, to
the DECstation 3100 (a.k.a. MIPS Machine, PMAX).  My workstations are
running Ultrix 2.0, Revision 7.  For more information about ISIS, see
comp.sys.isis.

ISIS relies on a lightweight task mechanism to switch between several
"tasks" within one process.  Task switching basically amounts to
longjmps from one task to the next, but there are some complications.
Several other machines have built-in lightweight task mechanisms:
Sun's LWP, Next's MACH Cthreads, and Apollo's Tasks.  Does anyone know
if the PMAX provides similar support?

Thanks in advance -- Dave.

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (05/09/89)

In article <27613@cornell.UUCP> dwg@squid.tn.cornell.edu (David George) writes:

>ISIS relies on a lightweight task mechanism to switch between several
>"tasks" within one process.  Task switching basically amounts to
>longjmps from one task to the next, but there are some complications.
>Several other machines have built-in lightweight task mechanisms:
>Sun's LWP, Next's MACH Cthreads, and Apollo's Tasks.  Does anyone know
>if the PMAX provides similar support?

Ultrix 3.0 on the DECstation 3100 (the current release) does not include
a lightweight task mechanism.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.