[comp.sys.dec] file backups in a mixed environment

sinclair@aerospace.aero.org (William S. Sinclair) (05/17/89)

We have a LAN that contains a MicroVAX II (VMS) and several UNIX
devices, such as IRISes, DECstation 3100's etc. We are lokking for
a way to get a file backup system to work with all of these devices
at once. To the best of my knowledge, the EXABYTE drives don't yet
have an implementation with the DEC RISC architecture. If they did,
we could dump the UNIX nodes with that, and use VAX/ULTRIX connect
to NFS the VMS files over to it.

The other possibility is to put a EXABYTE system on the VMS side;
but then we'd need some way to use the VMS system as an NFS client. I don't
know of any products that will do that. Have any of you done any experimen-
tation with this kind of arrangement?

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (05/17/89)

In a recent article sinclair@aero.UUCP (William S. Sinclair) wrote:
>... To the best of my knowledge, the EXABYTE drives don't yet
>have an implementation with the DEC RISC architecture. If they did,
>we could dump the UNIX nodes with that, and use VAX/ULTRIX connect
>to NFS the VMS files over to it.

We recently got a quote from Aviv (rt 128-land, Mass.) for a Exabyte to be
connected to a DECstation 3100. I believe that it included a driver. I don't
know if they have it ready to ship yet. It was cheaper in the SCSI version
than in the Q-bus version since it does not need a controller board.

				++Eric Fielding
eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu