[comp.sys.dec] PDP 11/23

swhitchurch@mntgfx.mentor.com (Steve Whitchurch) (05/19/89)

 I have a PDP 11/23 running unix 2.9.1, the system has one cpu,
 one RL02 disk drive and two RL01 disk drives. The unix os is
 on the RL02 drive. What I need to do is backup the os, any
 suggestions ???? I would also like to hook up a parallel printer,
 what hardware do I need ????? One other thing I would like to do
 is put this system on the net. I have a modem board and a modem
 but no news software, any ideas where I could get the software ???
 Any help or suggestions would be nice ..... This is the fist DEC
 system I have come in contact with.

mike@raven.TELCOM.TEK.COM (Mike Ewan) (05/24/89)

In article <1989May19.082926.1003@mntgfx.mentor.com> swhitchurch@mntgfx.mentor.com (Steve Whitchurch) writes:

> I have a PDP 11/23 running unix 2.9.1, the system has one cpu,
> one RL02 disk drive and two RL01 disk drives. The unix os is
> on the RL02 drive. What I need to do is backup the os, any
> suggestions ????

I'm assuming you're using at least one of the RL01's as a removeable disk.
That is, it's off line most of the time.  If so, get two RL01 disk packs,
and do the following:

	Shutdown to single user mode.
	Put the first pack in the RL01.
	Issue the command:

	    dd if=rrl0h of=rrlxh bs=5120 count=1000
	    (note.            ^  Substitute the drive number of
		the RL01 here ^ .)

	When that's done, replace the RL01 pack with the second one and do:

	    dd if=rrl0h of=rrlxh bs=5120 skip=1000

	If you ever need to restore, then switch the little drive number
	buttons on the RL's, boot off the backup RL01, and reverse the
	dd commands.

I hope this helps.
Mike
--
 Michael Ewan    (503)627-6468        ucbvax...\
 Network Services, Tektronix Inc.     decvax....\