[comp.sys.dec] Question on compatibility of f77/Vax FORTRAN compilers/linkage

bferguso@ics.uci.edu (B. Ferguson) (06/13/89)

Does anyone out there have any experience with linking VAX FORTRAN modules, to
f77 modules?

I.e. I have a f77 library that I want to link to from VAX FORTRAN code.

What are the incompatibilities and problems doing this. Note that the code is
full of VAX extensions.

Thanks,

Bruce.

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (06/13/89)

In article <17566@paris.ics.uci.edu>, bferguso@ics.uci.edu (B. Ferguson) writes:

> Does anyone out there have any experience with linking VAX FORTRAN modules, to
> f77 modules?
>
> I.e. I have a f77 library that I want to link to from VAX FORTRAN code.
>
> What are the incompatibilities and problems doing this. Note that the code is
> full of VAX extensions.

The first, basic problem with VAX FORTRAN is that DEC decided to
convert all symbols to UPPER CASE (argggghhhhh!!!!).
So, you must interface to f77 using the jbl (jacket building language)
to map subroutine names to the appropriate case.

I don't know if common data is compatible, though.  I don't have my User's
guide handy.  That document tells about using jbl.

Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!