[comp.sys.dec] Languages for the DS3100

sohail@savax.UUCP (Sohail Hussain) (06/07/89)

Does any one know which languages are supported on the
DecStation 3100? (they must have C, but ADA?, f77?)

A related question is "Can you use VMS to compile and link
the program that will run on the DS3100"?  It would be desirable
to use VMS, because we have so many VMS nodes in the company

One final question on the 3100, can you use a 3100 to develop
code to run on a mips M series machine,  ie generate code for
BIG_ENDIAN vs LITTLE_ENDIAN?

thank in advance for the info

sohail
--
Sohail Hussain						 sohail@sanders.com
Sanders, A Lockheed Company,				decvax!savax!sohail

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (06/09/89)

In article <1011@savax.UUCP> sohail@savax.UUCP (Sohail Hussain) writes:
>Does any one know which languages are supported on the
>DecStation 3100? (they must have C, but ADA?, f77?)

FORTRAN is available now.

>A related question is "Can you use VMS to compile and link
>the program that will run on the DS3100"?  It would be desirable
>to use VMS, because we have so many VMS nodes in the company

No.  The DS3100 is not a VAX.

>One final question on the 3100, can you use a 3100 to develop
>code to run on a mips M series machine,  ie generate code for
>BIG_ENDIAN vs LITTLE_ENDIAN?

Nope.

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

collins@unmvax.unm.edu (Bill Collins) (06/15/89)

In article <208@crltrx.crl.dec.com> treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) writes:
>In article <1011@savax.UUCP> sohail@savax.UUCP (Sohail Hussain) writes:
>>One final question on the 3100, can you use a 3100 to develop
>>code to run on a mips M series machine,  ie generate code for
>>BIG_ENDIAN vs LITTLE_ENDIAN?
>
>Nope.
Really?  I was under the impression that you may alter the compilation with
the -EL and -EB options on the compilers supplied from MIPS.(What dec had
eurchased from MIPS for the DS3100)  There is, of course, more than just the
byte order to consider depending on the aplication.

					Bill