[comp.sys.dec] Academic workstations : Macintosh ...

cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,113 Waterman,6561483,) (06/11/89)

> We are in the process of considering the purchase of workstations for
> a small lab in our Computer Science Department.  Our proposed
> configuration calls for 8 workstations (8Mb RAM, 200+Mb disk, large
> monochrome display) and a server.

As a "generic" machine, the Macintosh is probably a better bet ---

1.  when they're "obsolete" as unix workstation, they can be recycled
    as "plain" Macintosh's and sold to "ordinary people".  There is
    a strong desktop publishing market --- you could even "donate"
    them to the library or the alumni office.

2.  even when they are NOT obsolete, they can be used in both the A/UX
    environment and the Macintosh enviornment.  This gives a nice degree
    of flexibility.  E.g. an alternative use for the machines during the
    summer when C programs are not being reinvented, e.g.  hypercard
    development for language courses, etc.

3.  Forget the monochrome, put the color on them.

4.  Definitely network the machines, definitely ethernet them.  But
    keep an 80 mbyte disk on board.

Steve

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (06/12/89)

In article <1209@uvm-gen.UUCP> cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,113 Waterman,6561483,) writes:

   1.  when they're "obsolete" as unix workstation, they can be recycled
       as "plain" Macintosh's and sold to "ordinary people".  There is

I hate to tell you, but if you've ever used the apple UNIX, you'd know that
it's *already* obsolete. If you're looking for a color box that runs UNIX
*and* runs standard micro software, go for a '386 box, or a Sun-386i instead.

We have several Apple-IIx's running AU/X, and it's *awful*. The compiler
sucks and the machine is basically slow.
--
Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Illinois 		  (grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu)

kyriazis@rpics (George Kyriazis) (06/13/89)

In article <1209@uvm-gen.UUCP> cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,113 Waterman,6561483,) writes:

>As a "generic" machine, the Macintosh is probably a better bet ---
>2.  even when they are NOT obsolete, they can be used in both the A/UX
>    environment and the Macintosh enviornment.  This gives a nice degree...

But you CANNOT use Mac's running A/UX!  Believe me, I tried!

  George Kyriazis
  kyriazis@turing.cs.rpi.edu
  kyriazis@rdrc.rpi.edu
------------------------------

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (06/15/89)

In article <1209@uvm-gen.UUCP>, cavrak@uvm-gen.UUCP (Steve Cavrak,113 Waterman,6561483,) writes:
> > We are in the process of considering the purchase of workstations for
> > a small lab in our Computer Science Department.  Our proposed
> > configuration calls for 8 workstations (8Mb RAM, 200+Mb disk, large
> > monochrome display) and a server.
>
> As a "generic" machine, the Macintosh is probably a better bet ---

well, i dunno what the experience of other folks has been, but at Georgia
Tech people have gotten some measure of exerience with all three of the
choices (Mac, Next, Sun) mentioned in the original post. from what i've
heard.....

MAC AUX:
there's a couple labs full of those things and they mainly keep everybody
mad as hell. trouble getting it work with the net. trouble with the compilers.
things get fixed (by local sweat, not apple's) but in the process they make
everybody nuts.  the prez had some scheme to get a couple truckloads of the
things. dunno what he's gonna do, but everybody around here wanted to tell
him to forget it.... the faculty who have the things in their offices mainly
use them as paper weights will waiting for the required permission to clean
the alleged-unix off the disk so they can actually use the things for
something...

Next:
couple of dozen or so scattered about. people seem to think they're pretty ok,
'specially the sexier things.... but they're buggy... getting better... but
still buggy.... and there's no software..... so nobody's really excited...
but then again, nobody is mad either.... people expect this sort of thing
from new products....

Sun's:
every CS faculty (almost) has got one on his/her desk.  they use'm
everyday and nobody's mad.... the only fly in the ointment: they started
to check out alt sources of serv. contracts cause they were spending more
than they thought reasonable on the things...

does anybody else know of a shop that's used all 3?

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science