[net.music] Tangerine Dream

wro@noscvax.UUCP (Michael Wroblewski) (01/11/85)

Does anyone on the net know of a Tangerine Dream soundtrack for the movie
"The Soldier", or were tracks from existing albums used, a la "Risky
Business"?  Also, who did the soundtrack for "Timerider"?  Tanx.

               Mike Wroblewski, wro@NOSC.ARPA

eirikur@amber.DEC (Eirikur Hallgrimsson) (01/11/85)

As a long-time fan, I'd recommend Phaedra and StratosFear, if you
can find them. Phaedra is about 1974 vintage.  Rubycon ('75?) isn't
bad either, but  it has some random noodling here and there.  The
prelude to side one  of Rubycon is truly wonderful.

T.D.'s live albums have excellent sound quality.   There are three;
the most recent is, I believe, Logos.  There was a double album
from an american tour, which had some uninspired spots, but some
great improvisational glimpses into where their album cuts come from.
There is an earlier live album called Ricochet. I think that Ricochet
is better musically than Logos.

BTW: does anyone know if they are born-again christians as implied
by  some stuff on the back of the  Logos album, as well as its
title?  Considering the very trippy early T.D. material, I'm rather
surprised!

I'm not as pleased by the more organized, modal, straightforward,
almost MOR-simplistic  sound of some of their recent stuff.   This
trend first truly irked  me in parts of Force Majuere, but this is
just my opinion.  I loved their earlier stuff, and perhaps I can't
tolerate the changes.

See also the solo albums by Edgar Froese, particularly Epsilon in
Maylasian Pale, and Peter Baumann, particularly Transharmonic Nights.

My, all this from work, where my record collection is not!

There are several records predating Phaedra--they are more
unstructured.  I bought, but never played them much.  I should go back
to them and give a good listen.  I might find them just the thing
given that I'm not crazy about their latest.

	Eirikur

...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!eirikur

eirikur@dec-marlboro.arpa

Posted:	Fri 11-Jan-1985 14:33 Marlborough uncorrected time.
To:	RHEA::DECWRL::"NET.MUSIC"

D3U@psuvm.BITNET (05/14/85)

 I like the earlier stuff most, for the most part.
Electronic Meditation--hard to find lp from 1970-- a journey through a burning
brain. serene and mindblowing psych-rock with violent mood changes.Excellent!
Alpha Centauri, Zeit, Atem-- early 70's lps with lotsa synthesized symphonic or
chamber sounds. meditative and classical sounding, mostly. cosmic moments for
inner or outer space.  Excellent
Phaedra- another excellent lp, even though it has some easy listening sections
Rubycon- excellent, Mike Olfieldish, more accessible than previous lps 1976
Stratosfear-1977-title track was a disco single in Europe side one is commercia
but not enough for most radio stations. still a good lp
Cyclone 1978-- good lp, but side one sounds like TD trying to sound like main-
stream progressive rock. recommende for Genesis fans. even has lyrics
Encore--great American tour lp, four live sides of TD
Sorcerer-- 1977 good lp but the cuts are too short sometimes. music went well
with the movie "Sorcerer"
Force Majeur--1979?- good mix of earlier and more commercial styles, good lp to
start a collection of electronic music
Tangram-- 1980?- good music even if schmaltzy
Thief--1981 stk- went well with movie "Thief" but their days as forefront explo
rers appear to be over, if you didn't already worry about that with Stratosfear

I love the majestic soundscapes TD has produced. I love their abstract and medi
tative space explorations, and would have prefered they stick with that. Recent
lps as White Eagle and Poland show them successfully experimenting again, but I
am not familiar with them.
Some favorite tracks--"Movements of a Visionary" and the title track of Phaedra
, title tracks from Alpha Centauri and Atem, Cold Water Canyon from Encore

    actually TD is one of my favorite bands for over a decade now.
                                         cosmic Ray

Lippard@his-phoenix-multics.arpa (James J. Lippard) (05/17/85)

 >  I like the earlier stuff most, for the most part. [cosmic Ray]

I like the newer Tangerine Dream albums (with Schmoelling) better than the
old.  Of course, I've never heard anything earlier than Phaedra.  The stuff
that's available on CD ranges from 1975 (Ricochet and Rubycon) to 1982 (White
Eagle), without the soundtracks or Tangram.  I expect Tangram and Hyperborea
will be the next to be released.

If anyone is interested, here's what I know is on CD now (I have all except
Logos Live and Poland):

Ricochet 1975 (live)
Rubycon 1975
Cyclone 1978
Logos Live ? (live)
Force Majeure 1979
Exit 1981
White Eagle 1982
Poland 1985 (live)

Actually, Poland is only available as an "excerpts" CD (3 tracks from the
double album).

Jim

strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) (08/26/85)

	A while back I remember someone giving a list of movies Tangerine
Dream had done the soundtrack for, well here's one everbody probably
missed:
		"The Young and Innocent".
Tangerine Dream did not do the whole soundtrack for this movie, but
parts of 'Force Majuer' (or however you spell it) were used.
I doubt they even know their music was used because the movie
is triple x rated.

rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen) (08/28/85)

In article <5495@fortune.UUCP> strock@fortune.UUCP (Gregory Strockbine) writes:

>	A while back I remember someone giving a list of movies Tangerine
>Dream had done the soundtrack for, well here's one everbody probably
>missed:
>		"The Young and Innocent".
>Tangerine Dream did not do the whole soundtrack for this movie, but
>parts of 'Force Majuer' (or however you spell it) were used.
>I doubt they even know their music was used because the movie
>is triple x rated.

   Speaking of X-rated movies...about two years ago, I was watching the
film EMMANUELLE and noticed that all the really heavy-duty sex scenes had
as the musical background an EXACT COPY of King Crimson's "Larks' Tongues
in Aspic, part II" from the LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC album!

    Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?  I'm POSITIVE that Fripp et.
al are not aware of this rather blatant plagiarism; nowhere in the film's
credits were any of Crimson's personnel mentioned...
--
            "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste
	     (or intelligence) of the American public."

		  --H.L. Mencken

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/29/85)

> Speaking of X-rated movies...about two years ago, I was watching the
> film EMMANUELLE and noticed that all the really heavy-duty sex scenes had
> as the musical background an EXACT COPY of King Crimson's "Larks' Tongues
> in Aspic, part II" from the LARKS' TONGUES IN ASPIC album!

> Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?  I'm POSITIVE that Fripp et.
> al are not aware of this rather blatant plagiarism; nowhere in the film's
> credits were any of Crimson's personnel mentioned...

>		       --Rob Rosen

Well, you shouldn't be *SO* posititive about such things.  Fripp is
quite aware of the plagiarism and sued!

				-Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

hedger@ada-uts.UUCP (08/30/85)

over the past few years I've seen several x-rated movies which used
progressive rock and jazz music as background and I too doubt that the artists
are reaping any financial reward for this......

@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA:Lippard.Multics@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA (09/23/85)

From: "James J. Lippard" <Lippard@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
Phaedra and Tangram are both available on Virgin CDs now.  TD also did
soundtracks for the movies The Soldier and The Keep, but I haven't seen
soundtrack albums for them.