[comp.sys.dec] DS 3100 serial ports and other

lgl@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence G Lundblade) (06/13/89)

It's got two serial ports. One for the modem, the other for a printer.
They use DEC's 6 pin RJ11 style connectors with the off center clips,
but you can break the clips off the standard ones and tape them in or
something.

From Anixeter catalog, 1988
Wiring for EIA423

RDY OUT 1  ----------  20 DTR
   TX+  2  ----------   2 TD
   TX-  3  -----+----   7 GND
   RX-  4  ----/
   RX+  5  ----------   3 RD
RDY IN  6  -----+----   6 DSR
                 \---   8 CF

EIA423 is like RS232, but can go farther at higher baud rates. It is
adaptable to RS232 with a passive adapter wired as above. DEC uses
EIA423 on DEC 300 terminals (I think) and PMAXs.

I think the modem is tty00 and printer is terminal tty01. Just turn on
getty in /etc/ttys and you should be able to login. (It worked for me)

Another note, is that you can configure the PMAX (DS 3100) to use the
printer port as a console, but not the modem port. It doesn't seem to
read from the keyboard, and you'll have to take the battery out to get
control of your machine.

SCSI: They claim that Wren V's and Maxtor 8760 with SCSI work.

Memory: These tiny beasts do like lots of memory. We found the
optimizer, in it's full global glory has an image of around 10Mb, so
we quickly upgraded from 8Mb to 16Mb to avoid any memory bottle necks.
It compiled slower than a uVAX III with that memory.
The trick to swapping memory is not to try and pop the memory up, but
to twist it down in it's socket. Note the clips holding it up
vertically are much smaller than the pin holding down into the socket.

They support as many remote logins as your licensed for, default is 2,
just like any other ultrix machine, or BSD UNIX.

In general I'm quite happy. They were quite easy to set up, and the
hardware fits together well. As close to plug and play as any other
machine I've used.

Laurence Lundblade                                    206-543-5617
    lgl@cac.washington.edu
        Networks and Distributed Computing, U of Washington, Seattle WA

rsp@decvax.dec.com (Ricky Palmer - (603)881-0370 - ZK3-3/T74) (06/20/89)

-------
I have seen problems with Wren V's on the DS3100.
The problem is that the Wren does a seek, disconnects,
and never reselects the initiator (in this case the 3100).
Various people I have talked with are looking into getting
a microcode fix from CDC. At one point I was told that
microcode 5466 worked correctly with "fast machines"
but this does not appear to be accurate. The problem appears
quite readily when using the Wren in synchronous mode with
the cache enable bit turned on (maximum performance mode).
I was able to cause it to occur by attempting to execute
a large binary off the Wren drive such as "dxpsview" (the
Postscript previewer). The binary has a very large text and
data space and leads to some nice seek requests at the drive.
The next thing you know the "dxpsview" process is hung in
a pagein state waiting for the disk and the disk never returns.

---   Ricky Palmer	 Ultrix Advanced Development
---   Digital Equipment Corporation
---   Nashua, New Hampshire
---   ... One of the fathers of PMAX ...

duane@ginosko.samsung.com (Andrew Duane) (06/20/89)

In article <5170@decvax.dec.com>, rsp@decvax.dec.com (Ricky Palmer - (603)881-0370 - ZK3-3/T74) writes:
> I have seen problems with Wren V's on the DS3100.
> The problem is that the Wren does a seek, disconnects,
> and never reselects the initiator (in this case the 3100).
> Various people I have talked with are looking into getting
> a microcode fix from CDC. At one point I was told that
> microcode 5466 worked correctly with "fast machines"
> but this does not appear to be accurate. The problem appears
> quite readily when using the Wren in synchronous mode with
> the cache enable bit turned on (maximum performance mode).
> ---   Ricky Palmer	 Ultrix Advanced Development
> ---   Digital Equipment Corporation
> ---   Nashua, New Hampshire
> ---   ... One of the fathers of PMAX ...

We have just finished connecting a set of RIGIDYNE (the 3.5"
subsidiary of CDC) drives into our 3100's. Are we likely to
see this same problem, or is it restricted to the synchronous
mode drives like the Wren V's?

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-685-7200 X122  h:(603)-434-7934
Samsung Software America	 decvax!cg-atla!ginosko!duane
1 Corporate Drive			  uunet/
Andover, MA.   01810

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's breaking in the new help.