[comp.sys.dec] Unices

lance@kodak.UUCP (Dan Lance) (06/08/89)

We have 4 Micro/PDP-11s lying aroung our lab.  (They originally ran
RT-11 and RSX-11.)  I would like to run 2.X BSD or some other form of
Unix on them;  however, I'm not sure whether this particular model
of PDP-11 has the correct hardware to support virtual memory Unix.

The PDP-11 Architecture Handbook has a little chart showing which
DEC-supported OSes will run on the various flavors of PDPs.  The
Micro/PDP-11 seems to run all of them, so I have some hope that
it can run a VM Unix.

If anyone out there still runs Unix on PDP-11s (particularly 2.X BSD),
could you please drop me a line as to which Unix you run on which
PDP?

I'm also interested in how much disk space is needed.  One of our
PDPs has a 175 MB 9unformatted) Maxtor drive in it (I couldn't find
a model number);  the others have the standard 11 MB drives.

INthanksADVANCE,
--drl
Daniel R. Lance / Eastman Kodak Company, Federal Systems Division
drl@kodak.com / ..!rochester!kodak!lance

gpwrdcs@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes, GPO) (06/26/89)

In article <1917@kodak.UUCP>, lance@kodak.UUCP (Dan Lance) writes:
> We have 4 Micro/PDP-11s lying aroung our lab.  (They originally ran
> RT-11 and RSX-11.)  I would like to run 2.X BSD or some other form of
> Unix on them;  however, I'm not sure whether this particular model
> of PDP-11 has the correct hardware to support virtual memory Unix.

My understanding is that the Micro PDP-11 (ie 11/23, as opposed to the
Micro PDP-11/73) has full memory management, except I&D addressing.

> The PDP-11 Architecture Handbook has a little chart showing which
> DEC-supported OSes will run on the various flavors of PDPs.  The
> Micro/PDP-11 seems to run all of them, so I have some hope that
> it can run a VM Unix.
>
> If anyone out there still runs Unix on PDP-11s (particularly 2.X BSD),
> could you please drop me a line as to which Unix you run on which
> PDP?
>
> I'm also interested in how much disk space is needed.  One of our
> PDPs has a 175 MB 9unformatted) Maxtor drive in it (I couldn't find
> a model number);  the others have the standard 11 MB drives.
>
> INthanksADVANCE,
> --drl
> Daniel R. Lance / Eastman Kodak Company, Federal Systems Division
> drl@kodak.com / ..!rochester!kodak!lance

I posted something to this effect a couple of weeks ago, but the link was
a bit iffy around then, and I suspect it didn't get out of NZ.

Basicly - I also have a Micro PDP-11, sans (useful) OS.  I would *love*
to hear about a Unix, or any other timesharing OS for the beast, which
isn't going to cost more than the machine did (like the systems DEC would
love to sell me, ie RSX or RSTS).

The spex are:  Micro PDP-11 (11/23), 512KB main memory, RD52 hard drive
(30MB), RX50 floppy drives.  I really need something bootable.  I can
convert 9track magtape to RX50 via a VAX, given instructions.

Love to hear from anyone willing to help.

Don Stokes, Systems Programmer    /  /   Domain:                  don@gp.govt.nz
Government Printing Office,      /GP/   PSImail:          PSI%0530147000028::DON
Wellington, New Zealand         /  /   UUCP:  ...!munnari!vuwcomp!windy!gpwd!don
A conclusion is what you've come to when you reach the point when you can't
think any more.