[comp.sys.dec] VS2000 + DECWindows + CD-ROM ??

jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) (06/27/89)

I am planning on buying a VMS workstation soon but my budget is restrained.  At
a pinch I can buy a VS3100 with 19" mono screen and CD-ROM, but only by
borrowing from the bank and selling my car!

Now that the VS2000 is out of production it is likely that I can pick one up for
(hopefully) less than $8000 (Australian -- new price was in the region of
$16K-$20K) for a standalone system.  Whatever I buy I intend to run VMS V5.x
with DECWindows, and the CD-ROM strikes me as being a huge advance in
distribution media, especially if you get the documentation for most DEC
products (let alone the programs).  Hence these questions:

1. Given enough memory, can a VS2000 run DECwindows as a stand-alone machine and
   not be to slow to be useful?

2. Is it possible to connect a CD-ROM drive to the VS2000?  I suspect not as the
   VS2000 does not have a bus.  Perhaps it can be made to look like a hard disk
   and plug into a disk drive connector?

        Jeremy Begg

  | Management Information Systems,  |  E-Mail:  jeremy@misadel.oz    |
  | 125 Dew Street, Thebarton,       |   Phone:  +61 8 3524877 (work) |
  | South Australia 5031             |                                |

coburn@clo.dec.com (John T. Coburn) (06/29/89)

In article <5508@misadel.oz>, jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) writes...
>  ... Text deleted
>1. Given enough memory, can a VS2000 run DECwindows as a stand-alone machine and
>   not be to slow to be useful?

I use a VS2000/GPX everyday at the customer where I work. It has 6Meg
and is a standalone (DECnet only) system. I find it very usable and infinitely
preferrable to a Character Cell terminal. It would run better if it was at 14Meg
but I'll take what I have. If the system were clustered and I am sure that
14Meg would be necessary to keep response time reasonable.

>2. Is it possible to connect a CD-ROM drive to the VS2000?  I suspect not as the
>   VS2000 does not have a bus.  Perhaps it can be made to look like a hard disk
>   and plug into a disk drive connector?

Not any way that I am aware of.

--
John

Employed by, but not representing Digital Equipment Corp.

coburn@clo.dec.com (John T. Coburn) (06/29/89)

In article <376@mountn.dec.com>, coburn@clo.dec.com (John T. Coburn) writes...
>In article <5508@misadel.oz>, jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) writes...
>>  ... Text deleted
>>1. Given enough memory, can a VS2000 run DECwindows as a stand-alone machine and
>>   not be to slow to be useful?

 text deleted....
>but I'll take what I have. If the system were clustered and I am sure that
>14Meg would be necessary to keep response time reasonable.

 ^^^^^ I do not mean to imply that clustering requires 14Meg systems. The 14Meg
memory size is the next standard VS2000 memory configuration.

--

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (06/29/89)

In article <5508@misadel.oz> jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) writes:
< I am planning on buying a VMS workstation soon but my budget is restrained.  At
< a pinch I can buy a VS3100 with 19" mono screen and CD-ROM, but only by
< borrowing from the bank and selling my car!
<
< Now that the VS2000 is out of production it is likely that I can pick one up for

Where did you hear that it is out of production?

<
< 1. Given enough memory, can a VS2000 run DECwindows as a stand-alone machine and
<    not be to slow to be useful?

We have four VS2000s, two with 4 meg (Yes, I know that's crazy) and two with 6meg.
DO NOT TRY TO RUN DECWINDOWS on anything less than 8MEG!  We did and it is NOT
usable.

We are running the MIT release, which isn't such a memory hog so it isn't too
painful, but we plan to upgrade each with 8Meg boards when we can afford
it (~ US$ 3200 each).
However, with 6 meg they are certainly usable.

< 2. Is it possible to connect a CD-ROM drive to the VS2000?  I suspect not as the
<    VS2000 does not have a bus.  Perhaps it can be made to look like a hard disk
<    and plug into a disk drive connector?

Sorry, don't know about that one.
_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!

jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) (07/04/89)

In article <2906@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> In article <5508@misadel.oz> jeremy@misadel.oz (Jeremy Begg) writes:
> < I am planning on buying a VMS workstation soon but my budget is restrained.  At
> < Now that the VS2000 is out of production it is likely that I can pick one up for
>
> Where did you hear that it is out of production?

        It is no longer in the "VAX Systems and Options Catalogue".

        From this I assume that DEC can no longer guarantee to have new
ones for sale, and therefore that the VS2000 is no longer in production.
If they are still being made the whole production must be committed for
internal use, or for a special customer, otherwise why remove it from the
catalogue?