[comp.sys.dec] multiple RRD40 CD-ROM readers on VS3100 and PCs.

GPWXIMC@gp.govt.nz (Ian Calhaem) (07/10/89)

In article <789@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu>, LJG@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu (Larry Granroth 319/335-1960) writes:
> We want to buy a VAXstation 3100 configuration and hang 4-6 RRD40
> CD-ROM readers on it.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Larry Granroth  Granroth@IowaSP.Physics.UIowa.EDU
>                 IOWASP::GRANROTH

I have a different question, but for the same reasons (I suspect).
	Is it possible to use a DOS based PC running PCSA to allow the
	PC's CDROM reader to be used with VAX formated CDROMs ?

	ie. Does anyonw know of a DOS driver which will read VAX formated
	    CDROMs ?

thanks....

	Ian Calhaem
	Director Electronic Publishing
	Government Printing Office.

WTR@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu (SYSWTR@IOWASP.PHYSICS.UIOWA.EDU) (07/12/89)

>> In article <789@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu>, LJG@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu (Larry Granroth 319/335-1960) writes:
>> We want to buy a VAXstation 3100 configuration and hang 4-6 RRD40
>> CD-ROM readers on it.
>>
>In article <40@gp.govt.nz>, GPWXIMC@gp.govt.nz (Ian Calhaem) writes:
> I have a different question, but for the same reasons (I suspect).
> 	Is it possible to use a DOS based PC running PCSA to allow the
> 	PC's CDROM reader to be used with VAX formated CDROMs ?

  Yes we have tried this without much success.  MSDOS does not have
the equivalent of RMS, so most of what would be accessible from a CDROM
under MSDOS usually is not very readable from the VAX when using
a PC based FAL...