[comp.sys.dec] Filename Completion on DECstation 3100

dbb@riscy.dec.com (David Barrett) (07/26/89)

--
In article <15804@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, mark@isis.berkeley.edu (mark kraitchman) writes:

> On a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix Workstation V2.0 (Rev. 7), when I
> set filec in the cshell, typing the escape key does not complete the
> filename.  How come?

The file completion capability is not included in the standard csh supplied with ULTRIX.  You must use the csh which appears in "/usr/new" to get this capability, among others.

----------------------------------
David Barrett			         UUCP:    ...!decwrl!riscy.dec.com!dbb
Digital Equipment Corporation
New York ULTRIX Resource Center          INET:    dbb%riscy.dec@decwrl.dec.com

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (07/26/89)

In article <15804@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, mark@isis.berkeley.edu (mark kraitchman) writes:
<
< On a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix Workstation V2.0 (Rev. 7), when I
< set filec in the cshell, typing the escape key does not complete the
< filename.  How come?
<

That's because /bin/csh from DEC doesn't have the file completion feature.
You have to use /usr/new/csh, which *IS NOT SUPPORTED BY DEC*

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (07/26/89)

In article <15804@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, mark@isis.berkeley.edu (mark kraitchman) writes:

> On a DECstation 3100 running Ultrix Workstation V2.0 (Rev. 7), when I
> set filec in the cshell, typing the escape key does not complete the
> filename.  How come?

Because "filec" is not supported in /bin/csh.  A quick scan of the man page
for csh reveals no mention of this "feature."

Regards,
						Frank