[comp.sys.dec] Decwindows crash

eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) (08/02/89)

My VAXStation 3100 frequently crashes under DECWindows.  No warning or
error messages are given, and it seems to result from a wide assortment of
conditions.  Today, I pressed Shift-Printscreen accidentally, and it bombed.
Sometimes when I open a window it crashes, although I had opened the same
window only moments before.   It crashes from time to time in other common
situations.

When it crashes the screen goes B&W, I get a >>> prompt and the system
locks up, after which I reboot.

Has anyone else found the DECWindows application to be this fragile?  Or
has anyone else experienced sporadic crashes?

Ed Mills
Harris Semiconductor
Melbourne, Fl

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (08/02/89)

>Has anyone else found the DECWindows application to be this fragile?  Or
>has anyone else experienced sporadic crashes?

It is hard to tell if you have a hardware problem, software problem, or a bad
installation.  Can' even tell if you are running ULTRIX or VMS ...and what
version.

Also, please report your probelms to DIGITAL.  We have an obligation to
keep our customers happy  ;-)....please use the customer support centers.

--
Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp

mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (08/02/89)

I have a DECstation 3100 on my desk, running DECwindows, and I've
never ever had that happen to me.   Since it's happening to you so
often, I suspect that one of two things is happening.   Either you're
running out-of-rev software, or your DECstation is busted.    I've
never even seen the Field Test release do what you describe, so I
suspect the hardware (since I'm a software hacker, you can draw
whatever conclusions you like :').

Your problem could be related to bad memory (e.g. if you expanded the
memory with SIMMs that are too slow), or it could be a plain old
defective product.   You should definitely talk to field service.

Needless to say, this isn't DEC's party line, nor is it a commitment
from DEC or from me personally about the DECstation 3100 hardware or
software.

			       _MelloN_

pickel@mcnc.org (Lisa C. Pickel) (08/02/89)

In article <761@soleil.UUCP> eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes:

>Has anyone else found the DECWindows application to be this fragile?  Or
>has anyone else experienced sporadic crashes?

Yes, I'm having problems with the DEC X11 server. It seems there might be
a division by zero error somewhere in it.  Whenever I ask it to draw a
line between two incredibly close points, it hangs the server.  Right now,
I'm waiting for the upgrade and hoping that fixes it.

Lisa.
decvax!mcnc!pickel

gentile@horsey.dec.com (Sam Gentile) (08/03/89)

In article <761@soleil.UUCP>, eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes...
>My VAXStation 3100 frequently crashes under DECWindows.  No warning or
>error messages are given, and it seems to result from a wide assortment of
>conditions.  Today, I pressed Shift-Printscreen accidentally, and it bombed.
>Sometimes when I open a window it crashes, although I had opened the same
>window only moments before.   It crashes from time to time in other common
>situations.
>
>When it crashes the screen goes B&W, I get a >>> prompt and the system
>locks up, after which I reboot.
>
>Has anyone else found the DECWindows application to be this fragile?  Or
>has anyone else experienced sporadic crashes?

How much memory does your workstation have and how many applications do
you have running at time? If you are running with less than 6 MEG and more
than one application at a time, you will experience sporadic crashes. I solved
my problems by having my apps run remotely on the mini in the cluster and
using my VS2000 for display.

Sam Gentile			gentile%horsey.dec@decwrl.dec.com
Software Engineer		decwrl!horsey.dec.com!gentile
Digital Equipment Corp
Software Services Engineering - Network Engineering
5 Wentworth Drive GSF1-1/G13, Hudson NH 03051
	DIGITAL is Number ONE in Networking!
The views expressed are my totally my own and do not reflect the views of
Digital Equipment Corp.