[comp.sys.dec] UUCP through terminal server under ULTRIDate: 20 Jul 89 23:44:20 GMT

In article <1488@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> On a DEC ultrix computer, either a DECstation (mips based) or
> VAX (CVAX based) is it possible to run UUCP both dial in and
> dial out through a serial port on a DEC terminal server?

It is definitely possible to do incoming uucp thru a terminal server,
or at least it was until 3.0 somehow or other screwed up raw mode
handling in Land retries.

Outgoing is more problematical, I would say that you should be
able to do it with the new features for associating LLaround to implementing it yet.

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (08/06/89)

In article <497@rsmas.miami.edu>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> In article <1488@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
>
> It is definitely possible to do incoming uucp thru a terminal server,
> or at least it was until 3.0 somehow or other screwed up raw mode
> handling in Land retries.
>
> Outgoing is more problematical, I would say that you should be
> able to do it with the new features for associating LLaround to implementing it yet.
>
> --
> George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

Hi,

I don't know about the rest of you, but I keep getting the above article
in my system over and over again, day after day.  I am sure this is an
unintentional quirk on some system, somewhere, but I had seen no other
complaints and got to wondering if I was the only one experiencing it.
The problem is that I am not sure what to do with it, or what would cause
the news software to keep generating them.

Any ideas?

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

In article <500@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US> root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
> In article <497@rsmas.miami.edu>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> > In article <1488@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
> > [stuff deleted]
> >
> > It is definitely possible to do incoming uucp thru a terminal server,
> > or at least it was until 3.0 somehow or other screwed up raw mode
> > handling in Land retries.
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know about the rest of you, but I keep getting the above article
> in my system over and over again, day after day.  I am sure this is an
> unintentional quirk on some system, somewhere, but I had seen no other
> complaints and got to wondering if I was the only one experiencing it.
> The problem is that I am not sure what to do with it, or what would cause
> the news software to keep generating them.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, this was the message I was referring to as one of the problems
in my "plea to mailing list maintainers" posting.  It's my message,
but I only post one copy.  The rest seems to be some screwed up mailing
list <-> news gateway out in la-la land.

I haven't seen it show up here as a news posting - it's be ingored as
long as it still show cbmvax in the path.  I've gotten a couple copies
in the form of "mailer errors" since it still shows grr@cbmvax.uucp in
the from line, even though the article ID has be altered.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.  Maybe some of you guys that are getting
multiple copies can look at the headers and try to pinpoint the point
of departure...

avolio@gildor.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (08/07/89)

The problem is that somewhere the Message-ID line and the Date: line got removed.
Note that a Date: line is attached to the sibject lines now.  No Message-ID?  News
sticks one on, based on the site that is handling it at the time.  New MEssage-ID,
cosidered new message.

It'll die down eventually.... maybe :-)

Fred