[comp.sys.dec] RRD50 CD-ROM reader doc and cable spec needed

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/12/89)

I just layed my hands on a used DEC RRD50 "CD Reader" CD-ROM
reader, sans documentation.  I had thought that such a device
from DEC had a SCSI interface, but this box has a 15-pin male
plug which looks for all the world like an ethernet thick-wire
transceiver port (which I'm sure it's not!)  It also has a row
of 8 DIP switches.

If anyone can tell me how this usually hooks up to a SCSI device
(or ANY device), as well as the meaning of the DIP switches, I'd
be most appreciative.

/Steve
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (08/14/89)

In article <4192@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> I just layed my hands on a used DEC RRD50 "CD Reader" CD-ROM
> reader, sans documentation.  I had thought that such a device
> from DEC had a SCSI interface, but this box has a 15-pin male
> plug which looks for all the world like an ethernet thick-wire
> transceiver port (which I'm sure it's not!)

	The only controllers I know of for the RRD50 are a Q-bus
	DSA controller and a controller for the VAXmate.  I don't
	have anything hand to get the part numbers of the various
	boards for the Q-bus you treat it like any other DSA
	controller (RQDX3, KDA50, etc).
--
Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (08/14/89)

Thanks to everyone who wrote with suggestions.  The RRD40 is the SCSI
followon CD-ROM reader from DEC.  The RRD50 uses a separate Q-bus or
PC bus controller.