[comp.sys.dec] Sears VAX; UNIX bookshelves

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (08/23/89)

In article <6309@hubcap.clemson.edu> panoff@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert M. Panoff) writes:
>In article <675@uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>> So how does Sears get away with calling this vacuum cleaner of theirs a VAX?
>> Isn't that name trademarked or something by Digital?
>The name was earlier tradmarked by a British Maker of Vacuums.  Since
>Sears started carrying other brand names besides their own Kenmore or
>Craftsman lines, they are going for outside supplier more and more.
>One such supplier is this British company and their vacuum cleaner
>is VAX.  Appears DEC will have to prove priority, which it may not be
>able to do.

This is in the fine traditiion of UNIX bookshelves from the '50s;
somewhere at home I still have a copy of the ad for them.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253