[comp.sys.dec] DecStation 2100 and 3100 binary compatible?

woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) (08/22/89)

Does anyone know if DS 3100 and 2100 are binary compatible?
I'd like to cluster both together off of one disk.

	John d Woolverton
	  woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (08/22/89)

In article <11679@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, woolstar@cit-vax (John D Woolverton) writes:
>Does anyone know if DS 3100 and 2100 are binary compatible?
>I'd like to cluster both together off of one disk.
>
>	John d Woolverton
>	  woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

Yes, they are.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

kennish@janus.uucp (Ken A. Nishimura) (08/23/89)

In article <11679@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) writes:
>Does anyone know if DS 3100 and 2100 are binary compatible?
>I'd like to cluster both together off of one disk.
>
>	John d Woolverton
>	  woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

Yes, 100%.  In fact, as far as I can tell (and heard through
various people), the 2100 and 3100 are identical except for
clock speed and the speed of the static ram used for caching.
I have both and am running both off the same cluster of disks.

			-ken

khb@road.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman - Advanced Languages - Floating Point Group ) (08/23/89)

In article <11679@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) writes:
>Does anyone know if DS 3100 and 2100 are binary compatible?
>I'd like to cluster both together off of one disk.
>
>	John d Woolverton
>	  woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

The mips equivalent machines are binary compatible.
Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman@sun.com
It's Not My Fault   |	MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun*
I Voted for Bill &  | Advanced Languages/Floating Point Group
Opus                | "When the going gets Weird .. the Weird turn PRO"

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (08/23/89)

I've got a DECstation 3100 on my desk, and my next-desk neighbor has a
DECstation 2100.  The binaries are identical.

						Frank

woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) (08/24/89)

A friend owed me some money, and so he gave me a 380 Meg
SCSI drive instead.  I'm wondering if I can use it
with my Dec Station 3100.  Right now I don't know how
I would format it, or where to get cables.  No body
around here knows where to get the 68 pin connector
on the back of the DEC, or how to convert that into
a 50 pin, internal SCSI connector (Not the 50 pin
Centronics like plugs that DEC devices use).

Any help apreciated, and parts, apreciated even more!

   woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu
	John d Woolverton, Caltech