[comp.sys.dec] Software available for DECstations

rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (08/28/89)

I am interested to hear from people in the ``DEC User's community'' which
of the following public domain and commercial software has been ported to/
is available for their MIPS architectures:
     TeX (PD-including drivers and previewers)
     GNUsoftware (gcc, emacs, .....)
     ditroff (AT&T)
     transcript (ADOBE).

Any information is welcome.

uucp:   rcpt@eutrc4.UUCP      | Piet Tutelaers        Room  RC 1.90
bitnet: rcpt@heithe5.BITNET   | Eindhoven University of  Technology
phone:  +31 (0)40 474541      | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (08/29/89)

I (along with probably many others) have compiled and run (c)TeX and teh
standard X dvi previewers on the Decstation.  I also use Gnu Emacs
(18.54), and have compile the transcript code.
--Mike
                            Michael M. Meyer
                      Statistics/Academic Computing
                       Carnegie Mellon University.

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/29/89)

TeX is available from the normal places (U. Washington, as I remember)
for the PMAX.
emacs and lots of other gnu software runs on PMAX.  Dunno what the
current state of GCC is,
other than I saw some people attempting to install it several months ago
(haven't happened
to talk to them since.).  Maybe someone out there can be more definitive.

I also know people running ditroff on the machine, and we've certainly
been running
transcript on PMAX from within a month of the machine's first existance
inside Digital.
					- Jim

kennish@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Ken A. Nishimura) (08/30/89)

In article <586@crltrx.crl.dec.com> jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
>I also know people running ditroff on the machine, and we've certainly
>been running
>transcript on PMAX from within a month of the machine's first existance
>inside Digital.
>					- Jim

Will someone please tell me where to get a version of ditroff that
runs properly on the 3100 exists?  I have gotten transcript to
work fine, but not the troff_p core of ditroff.  Thanks in
advance.
						-ken