[comp.sys.dec] Need info on Vax 6310 to 6320 upgrade and Ultrix

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (09/06/89)

 We have a DEC Vax 6310 (single processor 6300 system) which we are
supposed to receive a second cpu board for.  We are currently running
Ultrix 3.0.  This upgrade is supposed to occur in the middle of term, so
we would like to have as little downtime as necessary.  No one is sure
whether Ultrix supports the second processor, and if so, what changes
if any are required for the kernel.  Unfortunately, our attempts to
get an answer from DEC have proved fruitless.  So, anyone out there
(preferrably with actual experience) have some info in the problem?

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/07/89)

Yes, it supports the second processor via ASMP (SMP in a furture release
as program
announced on my birthday).  You need to rebuild the kernel and tell it you have
2 processors (in your config file):

processors	2

You can run with the kernel built thusly with only the one processor if
you want.  Then when
the second cpu board comes, shutdown, install, reboot, and go.  (Well,
probably... shutdown,
install, reboot, shutdown, run diagnostics, reseat the board, smack
it.... then reboot and
go because that's how life it :-) )

Fred

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (09/07/89)

In article <14079@netnews.upenn.edu>, jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) writes:

> No one is sure whether Ultrix supports the second processor, and
> if so, what changes if any are required for the kernel.

	Yes, Ultrix supports the 2nd processor.  In the configuration
	file for the system is a parameter called "processors".  Set
	this to "2" and build a new kernel.  You can either run that
	kernel until the 2nd CPU comes or keep the vmunix around until
	then and then boot it.

--
Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com