[comp.sys.dec] DEC Compatible Drives - EMC and MTI

sbradley@mipos3.intel.com (Seth Bradley ~) (09/22/89)

I am considering the purchase of two third party DEC compatible
disk drives, the EMC MRA600 and the MTI MDI-76.  I would like to
hear from anyone who has experience with either. I am especially
interested in reliability, DEC compatibility (I'll be using them
on an Ultrix HSC70) , the quality of their support and performance.
Thanks in advance!

--
Seth J. Bradley
Internet: sbradley@mipos3.intel.com

In article <971@mipos3.intel.com> sbradley@mipos3.intel.com (Seth Bradley ~) writes:
> I am considering the purchase of two third party DEC compatible
> disk drives, the EMC MRA600 and the MTI MDI-76.  I would like to
> hear from anyone who has experience with either. I am especially
> interested in reliability, DEC compatibility (I'll be using them
> on an Ultrix HSC70) , the quality of their support and performance.

Make sure they are actually different!  There seem to be quite a few
companies putting together similar combinations of SDI converters
(EMC uses one made by Exsys) and CDC Sabre or similar drives.  You
may find that the important difference between drives is in issues
like warranty (negotiable!) and service - local vs. 3'rd party,
repair vs. instant swap, etc...