[comp.sys.dec] xdm on a decstation

treed@fsg.UUCP (Timothy Reed) (09/21/89)

No xdm on my decstation 3100, and no documentations since it's
a loaner.  Is there an xdm-like program for it - I'd like to
drive some xterms off the decstation, if possible.

Tim Reed
Fusion Systems Group
..!uunet!fsg!treed

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (09/22/89)

> No xdm on my decstation 3100, and no documentations since it's
> a loaner.  Is there an xdm-like program for it.

Xdm is in /usr/bin/xdm on my system.  It is part of the current Ultrix
distribution, so I can only guess that whoever lent you your machine either
did not install all the subsets, or somehow deleted xdm.

Regards,
						Frank

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (09/22/89)

In article <1488@riscy.dec.com>, frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
> > No xdm on my decstation 3100, and no documentations since it's
> > a loaner.  Is there an xdm-like program for it.
>
> Xdm is in /usr/bin/xdm on my system.  It is part of the current Ultrix
> distribution, so I can only guess that whoever lent you your machine either
> did not install all the subsets, or somehow deleted xdm.

Look also at dxsession, which offers the same functionality as xdm,
plus much more.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

melanie@ph-meter.beckman.uiuc.edu (Melanie Anderson) (09/26/89)

> In article <1488@riscy.dec.com>, frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
> > > No xdm on my decstation 3100, and no documentations since it's
> > > a loaner.  Is there an xdm-like program for it.
> >
> > Xdm is in /usr/bin/xdm on my system.  It is part of the current Ultrix
> > distribution, so I can only guess that whoever lent you your machine either
> > did not install all the subsets, or somehow deleted xdm.
>
> Look also at dxsession, which offers the same functionality as xdm,
> plus much more.

weeeeeeeellll, there is a price.

if you run dxsession and you dont have at least a vs3100/ds2100 on your desk
you will fall back asleep again before you get logged on in the morning.

i have a VSII/GPX 9MB 3xRD54 with multiple controllers and two swap files.
i generally have around 10 X things (xclock, xbiff, xrn, 3-4 terminal
sessions, snmpxmon, etc.) going at a time. i gave up on dx* and went to
real mit X clients because poor little ph-meter was groaning and
thrashing under the weight of all those humongous dxthings and i had no
cpu or core left to do real work, like compiles.

most people i know here at the university that have ka630 class machines are
running the dec server and the mit clients or have gone (like myself) to
"real" mit X, server and all.

also i saved about 9MB of space in /usr when i got rid of the dxthing
executables and man pages.

and besides which, i like xdm. its plain and simple. no bells, no whistles,
it just logs you in.  theres something to be said for that...

Melanie Anderson			melanie@ph-meter.beckman.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute			217/244-1079
Unversity of Illinois

"N4634X, Champaign Tower, uhhh, what's that hanging off your wing?"