[comp.sys.dec] Hung DEC Scriptprinter

rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) (09/20/89)

Hello,

I have posted this question twice in comp.lang.postscript over the
past year or so, and nobody has said a word, so I'm widening the
newgroups in hopes of hearing SOMETHING.

Our DEC ScriptPrinter (LN03R) periodically goes to lunch. I believe
it is caused by the Micrographix PS driver for Microsoft Windows,
but I can't really be sure. The symptoms are that the printer will
selectively print or not print jobs based on some unknown criteria,
and small jobs seem to have better luck than larger. Then, somehow,
it will come back, and everything will be fine. I figure that the
'persistent parameters' get changed nastily, because cycling the
power has no affect. Jobs that work fine one day won't the next. It's
terribly frustrating.

So far, my only recourse (sp?) has been to be patient until it gets
better. I am seriously considering taking out the PS board and looking
for a battery to remove...but there's so many wires back there it's
more than I look forward to.

Has anybody seen ANYTHING like this? Please? The printer gets a lot of
use from our vax and pcs, and my users (and myself) are getting fed up.

Any comment at all would be appreciated. Except, "Never saw thet before."

rob

dkk@athena.mit.edu (David K Krikorian) (09/20/89)

In article <2034@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:

>Our DEC ScriptPrinter (LN03R) periodically goes to lunch. I believe
>it is caused by the Micrographix PS driver for Microsoft Windows,
>but I can't really be sure. ...[symptoms]...
>
>Has anybody seen ANYTHING like this? Please? The printer gets a lot of
>use from our vax and pcs, and my users (and myself) are getting fed up.
>
>Any comment at all would be appreciated. Except, "Never saw thet before."

Sorry, but I never saw that before.  Seriously, I think you're on the
right track suspecting your PostScript driver (or printer driver, if
you have the same one on all the troublesome printers).  (What
hardware do you have the printers hooked up to?)

The systems I administer have (I'd guess) 75 LN03R's hooked up to DEC
hardware in various configurations.  We drive them into the ground.
Literally.  It's truly amazing what those printers will take, and keep
on printing.  (We have about 10,000 users.)  The only problems we have
are normal wear on the hardware (even though we run them at an order
of magnitude beyond spec.).  I understand your desire to downgrade
them as a short-term solution for your problem, but isn't that a bit
drastic?  Is changing the software an option?  Hooking up one LN03R in
a different configuration than the others (if you haven't yet)?

 David Krikorian / MIT Project Athena Operations / Systems Programmer

jnp@mjolner.tele.nokia.fi (J|rgen N|rgaard) (10/01/89)

(Our configuration:
	DEC ScriptPrinter (LN03R) connected to UNIXes and VAXes
	through a LAT (?) - something that can be used for printer-
	connections.
	Gating from UNIXes goes via a DECStation)

I've experienced something similar:

	When printing certain types of files the printer
	dies with 'ioerror' (the exact position in the file can be moved
	by inserting/removing comments) or 'syntaxerror' (at places
	where there (verifiable) are no syntax-errors (looks like
	a part of the input "disappears" so that f.ex. strings are
	seen as commands). If the file is split into smaller parts
	they *always* print; the split is purely textual, so eventuel
	PostScript errors would not go away.

	Both the printer and the server (this LAT thing) claim to be
	using XON/XOFF, no parity and same number of databits.

--
| Regards, J|rgen N|rgaard ('|' is '\o{}' in \LaTeX{})                        |