[comp.sys.dec] Hard Drives for PDP11/23

hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) (09/30/89)

Does anyone know whether I can get a controller (and what kind) to use
these drives with my PDP11/23 (Q-bus):

Century Data Systems
Trident T80A (75 meg)

Control Data 9762

DEC RK07

DEC RL05 (I think)

|Harris L. Gilliam                   ()    4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139 |
|Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu  () hgilliam@gertie.media.mit.edu    |
|UUCP     : !bloom-beacon!mit-athena!hackeron                            |
|GEnie    : H.GILLIAM1                                                   |

herbert@gr8ful.enet.dec.com (Kevin Paul Herbert) (09/30/89)

In article <14788@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) writes...

>Does anyone know whether I can get a controller (and what kind) to use
>these drives with my PDP11/23 (Q-bus):
>
>Control Data 9762
DEC doesn't make anything for the Q-bus for this disk. Check out the
third-party companies; we had such a controller at my previous employer, but
that was a very long time ago and I have forgotten who makes it.

>DEC RK07
If there is a DEC controller for this, it will only support 18-bit addressing.
Depending on the O/S that you choose to run, and the type and amount of memory
you have, this may be a problem. I have no idea about third parties, but I'd
doubt it.

>DEC RL05 (I think)
No such drive. If you mean RK05, the controller you want is an RKV11.
Unfortunatly, this has only 18-bit addressing, so it might not be good for you.
Again, I doubt that any third-party controllers would work.

If you mean RL01 or RL02, than you are in good shape. The RLV12 controller will
support them, and has 22-bit addressing. There is also the RLV11 varient; this
one is 18-bit only, and I'm not sure if it supports the RL02.

Kevin

--- I'm just a former PDP-11 hacker with an H11A sitting next to me... ---

beadel@snidely.oswego.edu (Edward F. Beadel Jr.) (10/03/89)

In article <14788@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> hackeron@athena.mit.edu (Harris L Gilliam) writes:

>Does anyone know whether I can get a controller (and what kind) to use
>these drives with my PDP11/23 (Q-bus):
>
>Century Data Systems
>Trident T80A (75 meg)

If my memory serves me well, The only controler made for these besties was
a DIVA Computroller V. It was a Unibus controller. The emulation was of
a RM02 (20Mbyte). The company went belly up about 10 years ago. The disk
was still being made for some Texas Instrument machine back then also.

>Control Data 9762

Most of your "standard" third party controller manufactures should cover
this one. I know that it's useable on all the Emulex SMD and Massbuss
type controllers we have. The CDC 9762 is basicly the Grand Daddy of the
SMD family of disks.

>DEC RK07

DEC makes (or puts their own lable on) this drive and it's controller. Your
best buy would be through the DEC used Equipment Dealers (of which there
are quite a large number).

>DEC RL05 (I think)
>

>|Harris L. Gilliam                   ()    4 Ames St. Cambridge MA 02139 |
>|Internet : hackeron@athena.mit.edu  () hgilliam@gertie.media.mit.edu    |
>|UUCP     : !bloom-beacon!mit-athena!hackeron                            |
>|GEnie    : H.GILLIAM1                                                   |

I hope that the above list helps.

-ed

Edward F. Beadel, Jr., Assistant Director
Instructional Computing Center
SUNY College at Oswego                 beadel@oswego.Oswego.EDU
Oswego, NY  13126 (315)-341-3055

pechter@scr1.ocpt.ccur.com (Bill Pechter) (10/03/89)

I'm trying to keep this down to minimum bandwidth...

For the Following disks here's what I know about controllers...

Control Data 9762
Try Emulex and Dilog.

DEC RK07
There's no DEC Qbus controller.  Qbus to Unibus adapters will let you run this
but it's unwieldy.  A number of controllers emulate these with 9762's.

DEC RL05 (I think)
No such drive. If you mean RK05, the controller you want is an RKV11.

Unfortunatly, this has only 16 bit addressing.

Memory management doesn't work with the beast because there's only 16 bits
in the address register.  Support is in the software and a hardware hacker
can bus the stuff to the 2 bits that are not used in the register if you're good
and have prints.

A friend made the mods to one I had on an 11/23 that used to be an 11/03.

Bill
(ex DEC Field Service)
--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757