[comp.sys.dec] CDC Wren on DS3100

wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bill Wang) (10/04/89)

After a lot of talks between the tech. support people from the vendor and
us, we finally succeed in getting a dcd wren-v disk drive working on
a decstation 3100.  Here is my own procedure of doing it.

1. Getting two cables, one for ds3100 to cdc disk, one for rz55 to
cdc disk.

2. Set cdc drive SCSI addr to 1. (This may require to open up
the disk box)

3. connect cdc drive to an exist dec rz55 disk on scsi interface.

4. boot ds3100 off rz55.

5. MAKEDEV rz1 rz55

6. newfs /dev/rrz1a rz55

7. chpt -q /dev/rrz1a to check the size of c partition.  Mine is 1174560.

8. chpt -pb 32768, 131072 -pd 163840, 32768 -pe 196608, 32768 \
	-pf 229376, 32768 -pg 262144, 912416 /dev/rrz1c

	You can change the size of each partitions according to your
	needs.

9. Change /etc/disktab to add the following:

rzwv|RZWV|CDC Wren-V Winchester:\
        :ty=winchester:ns#36:nt#15:nc#2405:\
        pa#32768:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
        pb#131072:bb#8192:fb#1024:\
        pc#1174560:bc#8192:fc#1024:\
        pd#32768:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
        pe#32768:be#8192:fe#1024:\
        pf#32768:bf#8192:ff#1024:\
        pg#912416:bg#8192:fg#1024:

10. newfs /dev/rrz1g rzwv

11. mount /dev/rrz1a and /dev/rrz1g onto some place.

12. use 'dump' and 'restore' to copy /dev/rz0a to /dev/rz1a
	and /dev/rz0g to /dev/rz1g.

13. take cdc drive off the first ds3100.

14. change scsi addr for the cdc drive to 0.

15. connect the cdc drive to a new ds3100 and boot off from rz(0,0,0)vmunix

16. if you have a different hardware configuation like more memory, etc
	you might want to rebuild the kernel on the new ds3100 with
	cdc drive.  The procedure should be the same as a real dec rz55.

Here are the responses I have got so far from the net.

From: ames!amdcad!cdr (Carl Rigney)
To: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Subject: Re: CDC Wren-v for DS3100
Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix,comp.sys.dec

In article <25959@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> you write:
>I need some help about booting ds3100 (pmax) off
>cdc wren-v 600 meg scsi disk.
>
>We currently have a ds3100 with a dec disk on it and a tk50
>cartridge drive.
>
>We are getting two ds3100 without disk from dec and two
>cdc wren-v scsi drives from someone else.  My questions
>are how to format these two disks, and make file systems
>for the ds3100s and hang them on to these two ds3100 and
>let them boot from the two cdc drives?

No magic required.
When I had a disked Decstation 3100 in for evaluation, I just attached
the preformatted Wren V, did newfs on the file systems, loaded the
operating system, and booted off it.  Ultrix called it generic SCSI.
If you do some messing about with various files in the sys
heirarchy you supposedly can get it to recognize it as a Wren V, but
it works just fine as generic SCSI.

I did have a DEC system disk to start with, but you should be able to
load the OS from TK50 to the Wren just like you would to a DEC disk.
Sorry but I don't remember the exact commands, it was some time ago.
DEC does have a nice command for doing various things to SCSI devices -
see the man page for rzdisk.

Or you could attach the disk to your system that already has a system disk,
and copy the / and /usr over then change the appropriate files.

Note that /usr with all the savesets loaded (but no man pages!) is 130
MB, and / is 8 MB, with /vmunix taking up 2.2 MB by itself!

One of the people at DEC has been working on getting the DECstation 3100 /
Wren V combo to work with read-ahead cache enabled, and has said he'll post
the details on that when he's confident in it.

I hope this has been of some use.  Sorry for the lack of details, but there
was nothing tricky about it.

	--Carl Rigney
	cdr@amdcad.AMD.COM
	{ames decwrl gatech pyramid sun uunet}!amdcad!cdr
	MS 167; AMD; 901 Thompson Place; Box 3453; Sunnyvale, CA  94088
	408-749-2453

From: jensen@jarsun1.zone1.com (peter jensen)
To: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In article <25959@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> you write:

>We are getting two ds3100 without disk from dec and two
>cdc wren-v scsi drives from someone else.  My questions
>are how to format these two disks, and make file systems
>for the ds3100s and hang them on to these two ds3100 and
>let them boot from the two cdc drives?

Bill,

	I have no info for you yet, but I am interested in this too.
Would you please forward the info you get?  All I know so far is that
this is possible, but I don't have any format info.

Peter C. Jensen    jensen@jarsun1.ZONE1.COM        Engineering Consultants
Jordan Apostal Ritter Associates          ANSYS, Aries, Fidap Distributors
Admin Bldg 7, North Kingstown RI 02852    (401) 884-3014 or (401) 294-4589

From: kandler@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Matthias Kandler)

I recently installed a ds3100 with a WREN V disk. So I'll report my
experiences.

It's not easy to get the right cables to connect the disk to the ds3100.
So far we are only able to connect the disk via the TK50. But we
heard a rumour that DEC sells the right cables. (Our DEC-rep didn't
say a word about that. See last 2 lines of this article :-)

The Ultrix installation tape does not support third party disks. But this
can't stop us. There are ways out:

	   Choose 'System Management' on the first prompt of the installation
	   procedure. Then 'ed install.1'. After the lines

		RZ55)
			ns=36;nt=15;;
	   add the lines

		UNKNOWN)
			ns=48;nt=15;root_D=WREN;;	.

	   Partition the disk as you need it.

		     cd /dev; MAKEDEV rz0
	      [e.g.] chpt -pa 0 32768 -pb 32768 32768 /dev/rrz0c
 		     chpt -pd 65536 32768 -pg 98304 1075626 /dev/rrz0c

	   Then do 'cd /;. .profile'. This restarts the installation.
	   Choose 'Advanced installation' now.

	   In the second phase of the installation (after booting from disk)
	   you have to stop the installation by ^c. Then 'ed /etc/disktab'.
	   Add an entry like

	WREN|UNKNOWN|CDC WREN V 94181-702 (unknown by DEC finder):\
        :ty=winchester:ns#48:nt#15:nc#1543:\
        pa#32768:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
		.
		.	[ Partitioning information is irrelevant]

	  Then 'cd /; . .profile'

I built a customized installation TK50 that does the above. If you want to
know how to do this send me mail. I'm now in the process to setup a
'Remote Installation Service' from a VAX for the ds3100.

The right way to solve the 'UNKNOWN problem' above would be to teach finder
(and also autoconf) to recognize the CDC WREN V. We didn't get Ultrix 3.1
sources yet. So I could not try it.

The ds3100,WREN V configuration is running fine now for ca. four weeks.
~~
Matthias Kandler  Inst. f. Informatik     LOC=lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
                  TU Muenchen             kandler@LOC
                  Postfach 20 24 20       kandler%LOC@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net}
                  D-8000 Muenchen 2       Telefon: (089) 2105 2025
Q:  What's the difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman?
A:  The car salesman can probably drive!

From: mellon@decwrl.dec.com (Ted Lemon)
To: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bill Wang)
Subject: CDC Wren-v for DS3100

There shouldn't be much of a trick to it - you should be able to just
attach it to the CPU and boot.   When you boot, the kernel should
print some messages like this:

  Ultrix Worksystem V2.1 (Rev. 14) System #3: Fri Aug 25 02:34:23 PDT 1989
  real mem = 16777216
  avail mem = 13053952
  using 409 buffers containing 1675264 bytes of memory
  KN01 processor - system rev 1
  cpu0 ( version 1.6, implementation 2 )
  fpu0 ( version 1.5, implementation 3 )
  pm0 ( monochrome display )
  rz0 ( UNKNOWN )
  rz1 ( RZ55 )
  rz2 ( UNKNOWN )
  rz3 ( RZ55 )
  rz4 ( RZ55 )
  rz5 ( RZ55 )
  tz7 ( TZxx )
  se0 ( ethernet address 8-0-2b-e-46-3d

The ``( UNKNOWN )'' indicates that it doesn't know what sort of drive
you've got installed.   That's okay as long as you want to use the C
partition.   Just log in as root, do a MAKEDEV if necessary to get the
special files (for example, if it says ``rz5 ( UNKNOWN )'', you'd cd
to /dev and type ``MAKEDEV rz5''.   Then, go into /etc/disktab and add
an entry for your drive.   For example:

rzwv|RZWV|Wren-v Winchester:\
        :ty=winchester:ns#36:nt#15:nc#2405:\
        pa#32768:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
        pb#262144:bb#8192:fb#1024:\
        pc#1299174:bc#8192:fc#1024:\
        pd#152446:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
        pe#152446:be#8192:fe#1024:\
        pf#152448:bf#8192:ff#1024:\
        pg#1004262:bg#8192:fg#1024:

You need to pick the entries above to match the geometry of the disk.
Do a ``man disktab'' to get documentation on how to create an entry.

Once you've added the entry, type ``newfs -v /dev/rrz5c rzwv'' (or
whatever name you use for the Wren-V.   You can then mount the
filesystem normally; for example, ``mount -v /dev/rz5c /mnt''.

If you want to build a default partition table into the kernel, you
can also do that.   You need to edit the file
/usr/sys/data/scsi_data.c, and add a couple of stat structures.
There's a declaration for ``struct size'', followed by declarations
and initializations for the various known drives.   You can make a
copy of one of the entries and hack it to reflect the default
partition table for your drive.   The comments should give you enough
information.   Be sure to change the name of the declaration.  For
example, if you copy the sz_rz55_sizes entry, be sure to change the
name to ``sz_rzwv_sizes'', or something like that.   Also, be sure to
put the entry in the right place.   For the PMAX, make sure that
you're in the #ifdef mips section, rather than in the #ifdef vax
section.

Then, you need to add an entry to the scsi_devtab structure describing
your CDC wren.   Again, copying the rz55 entry and hacking it is
probably the right thing to do.   The entry you'll add could look like
this:

{"CDC WREN-V", 8, "RZWV", SZ_DISK, sz_rzwv_sizes,
 SCSI_TRYSYNC|SCSI_STARTUNIT|SCSI_REQSNS|
 SCSI_TESTUNITREADY|SCSI_READCAPACITY, 0 },

The first string is the string that the device returns when the CPU
polls it for identification.   You can find out what this is by doing
a ``test -c'' at the system monitor prompt.   You'll notice in the
source file that there are a lot of entries that match rz55s.   The
second string in the structure is what the kernel prints out when it
recognizes your drive.   You'll know that you got the identification
string right if, when you boot your new kernel, it says
``rz5 ( RZWV )'' instead of ``rz5 ( UNKNOWN )''.

Once you've hacked the scsi_data.c file, and want to build a kernel,
cd to /usr/sys/conf and type config HOSTNAME, where HOSTNAME is the
hostname of your machine as it was set when your machine was first
built, all in caps.   Then, type ``cd ../HOSTNAME'', and then type
``make depend; make''.   If you hacked the data.c file correctly, it
should build a new vmunix in that directory.   When it does, save your
old vmunix as /vmunix.old; i.e. type ``mv /vmunix /vmunix.old'', and
then move your new vmunix to the root; ``mv vmunix /''.   Then, reboot
your system.   Iterate until you have it recognizing the system
correctly.

Bear in mind that you don't have to go through the kernel
reconfiguration at all unless you want to use the a, b and g
partitions.   Good luck!

			       _MelloN_

From: coppi@tapir.caltech.edu (Paul Coppi)
To: wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bill Wang)

Hi.

Our group has also bought DECstations without DEC disks and is faced
with exactly the same problem as you. If you get any answers
to your request, we would really appreciate it if you could
orward them to us. If we figure anything out, we'll let you know.

Thanks,
  Paolo Coppi
  (coppi@zeppo.caltech.edu, coppi@tapir.caltech.edu)

Bill Wang
US Mail = Psychology Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405
UUCP  = {rutgers, att, ames}!iuvax!wcwang
Internet = wcwang@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu