[comp.sys.dec] 4mm Versus 8mm Tape Backup Subsystems

rlm@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu (09/30/89)

I posted an inquiry a few weeks ago about 4mm DAT tape subsystems, but no one
seemed to have any experience. We have a VAX-3200 (Q-bus)+2x3100 (VMS) cluster
with some 1.5 GB of disk which we need to backup with minimal operator
intervention. The choices seem to be:

   o Buy an 8mm Exabyte system. These are available in several packages
     and are in wide use. I have been told that they are `fairly' reliable
     but are extremely slow if one wants to recover selected file(s)
     located in the middle of the tape. Also, the reliability is apparently
     not terrific- I was told that it was comparable to a TK-50 (ouch!!).

   o Buy a 4mm DAT system. These are apparently just becoming available for
     VAX/VMS systems (although I haven't been able to contact anyone who has
     used one yet). They have only 60% capacity per tape compared with 8mm
     but are claimed to be more reliable (because of the digital recording
     technique) and have much faster selective file recovery (20sec maximum).

We need to purchase something right away because at the moment we have NO
backup device. Can anyone offer useful suggestions on this subject? I
would be particularly interested in (a) First hand experience with a DAT
subsystem in a DEC environment (VMS) and/or (b) A consumer guide to the 8mm
systems- which is considered the most reliable, or the best buy?

Thanks in advance

Robert Mutel
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242

Phone: (319) 335-1950         |  TWX: 910-525-1398
SPAN: 7230::RLM (CERES)       |  Bitnet: rlm%iowa.Physics.UIowa.Edu@CUNYVM
HEPnet: 47588::RLM (IOWA)     |  Internet: rlm@iowa.Physics.UIowa.Edu

In article <21496.2524aa95@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu> rlm@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
> I posted an inquiry a few weeks ago about 4mm DAT tape subsystems, but no one
> seemed to have any experience. We have a VAX-3200 (Q-bus)+2x3100 (VMS) cluster
> with some 1.5 GB of disk which we need to backup with minimal operator
> intervention. The choices seem to be:
>
> We need to purchase something right away because at the moment we have NO
> backup device...

8mm is a hell of a lot better than no backups.  I don't know that the whole
story is in, but many people are using them and even if something else turns
out much better, I would expect the 8mm drives and technology to have at
least a 3 year useful life.  It's just too soon to tell about the DAT stuff -
if you are  brave, get one on a test basis, but the chances are much greater
that the drive/company/format will be orphaned within a year...

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (10/10/89)

In article <8101@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <21496.2524aa95@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu> rlm@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu writes:
>> I posted an inquiry a few weeks ago about 4mm DAT tape subsystems, but no one
>> seemed to have any experience. We have a VAX-3200 (Q-bus)+2x3100 (VMS) cluster
>> with some 1.5 GB of disk which we need to backup with minimal operator
>> intervention. The choices seem to be:
>>
>> We need to purchase something right away because at the moment we have NO
>> backup device...
>
>8mm is a hell of a lot better than no backups.
George,
My biased opinion:
8mm is a hell of a lot better than ANY backups.

 I have used a Viking controller with Exabyte 8mm drive for 16 mos now,
we do incrementals daily and level 0 biweekly on 7 systems contituting a total
of 2gig of disk. We also have another system with 1gig and a Viking/Exabyte
drive that has been in operation for 6 mos. Neither drive has ever burped.
The dump tapes cost $8.99 for 2 gig vs over $500.00 for the same capacity
in a tk50 plus it is a start and go process - put the tape in and go home.
No poor animal has to wait around endless hours to change endless tapes.
Restores of individual files ove 800meg into a tape has taken 15 mins at the
outside. The savings in tape, labor and anxiety has paid for the drive &
controller (About $4k a year ago) many times over.

>least a 3 year useful life.  It's just too soon to tell about the DAT stuff -
>if you are  brave, get one on a test basis, but the chances are much greater
>that the drive/company/format will be orphaned within a year...

DAT's as far as I know won't hold the amount of data that the 8mm will so I
don't see the 8mm being obsolete anytime soon. The low cost of operation
probably won't be matched by DAT as the tapes will cost more and the drive
may as well - it certianly will [cost more] in the beginning.
Besides, I would still like to have a slick vacuum load 6250 reel tape at
certian times and this is 1989...

Because DAT is digital format, they no doubt will do 'tar -r' - which
the analog format Exabytes won't do (which is why they are being mainly marketed
as 'backup' devices) -they should be around to stay.  The DAT will probably be
a popular OEM item as it will replace completely any other drive currently being
shipped.

Hurf

--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu