[comp.sys.dec] PDP-11 and LSI-11 Opcodes

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (09/12/89)

Do the PDP-11 and the LSI-11 have the same instruction set and use the
same opcodes?

Our lab has a Unimation Puma whose VAL II controller is based on the
LSI-11.  Unfortunately all the LSI-11 assembly language manuals seem
to have vanished from the face of the Earth.  My list of phone numbers
is starting to look like an FSM diagram (DEC XYZ Center: "No we don't
know anything about that, but you could try the DEC XYZZY Center.")

However, I was able to find a book which has a list of PDP-11
instructions and opcodes.  Is it safe to assume that these are the
same as for the LSI-11?

If not, does anyone know whether the "LSI-11 Users System Guide" has
what I'm looking for?  (This was the only LSI-11 document the DEC
people knew about, but they had no idea what it contains.)

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

frank@croton.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (09/12/89)

In article <1989Sep11.221225.17780@cs.rochester.edu>, yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

> Do the PDP-11 and the LSI-11 have the same instruction set and use the
> same opcodes?

Yes, they do.  However, there are some variations from model to model.  11/03s
don't support floating point, 11/23s support memory management hardware, etc.
The simpler, "core" instructions are the same.

						Frank

dheap@gara.une.oz (Dave Heap PSYS) (10/10/89)

In article <1989Sep11.221225.17780@cs.rochester.edu> yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu.UUCP (Brian Yamauchi) writes:
>Do the PDP-11 and the LSI-11 have the same instruction set and use the
>same opcodes?

	Basically, yes. All PDP11s (including the LSI11) support the basic
PDP11 instruction set. A few exceptions such as SOB, MARK, RTT & SXT are not
supported on all. Optional instructions such as EIS & floating point depend
on the CPU &/or its fitted options. Minimal differences exist between CPUs
for unusual instructions such as MOV R1,(R1)+ where autoincrementing may take
place before or after R1 is read, depending on the processor. In general,
you shouldn't have any problems. If you really need it, I have documentation
of PDP11 family differences.

	(Sorry about the late reply, I mailed this direct, went on holiday
& returned to find it had bounced.)

--
Dave Heap              	         ACSNET: dheap@gara.une.oz
Psychology Department,           UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!gara.une.oz!dheap