[comp.sys.dec] Disc controllers for Q-bus

bwc@dtscp1.UUCP (Brantley Coile) (09/29/89)

I am looking for a Q-bus disc controller for ST-506
drives.  What experience has anyone had with such controllers.

Brantley Coile
..!gatech!gastro!bwc

cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) (10/04/89)

Q-bus & ST-506 = SLOW SLOW SLOW!!
you never get full performance out of your
CPU with ST-506. My advice: dump 'em and
go with Q-bus SCSI. It benches as good or
better than SMD & gives you the most
bank for the buck.

Check your DIGITAL REVIEW 1989 issues for
recent reviews.

dheap@gara.une.oz (Dave Heap PSYS) (10/10/89)

In article <987@dtscp1.UUCP> bwc@dtscp1.UUCP (Brantley Coile) writes:
>I am looking for a Q-bus disc controller for ST-506
>drives.  What experience has anyone had with such controllers.

	We have a Webster SRQD11-B controller & are very pleased with it.
Full formatting & diagnostics on-board, bad block replacement at controller
level & even an RS232 port to access the diagnostics directly if your CPU
wont run. Very impressed. Webster is an Australian firm, do export to the US.

--
Dave Heap              	         ACSNET: dheap@gara.une.oz
Psychology Department,           UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!gara.une.oz!dheap