[comp.sys.dec] DS3100 UUCP/Hayes problems

dan@asihub.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) (10/18/89)

UUCP and tip do not seem to function correctly on a DS3100.  Hopefully
there is an expert on the net who can provide some assistance with
this problem.

Hardware:	DECstation 3100
OS:		UWS 3.1 (risc)
Modem:		Hayes Smartmodem 2400 external

Physical layout:

	When looking at the back of the 3100, I use the left most port
	which is marked with a printer symbol.

	A DEC office connect cable is plugged into this port.  The
	other end is plugged into a DEC to DB25 converter, part
	#H8571-F.  This in turn is plugged directly into the Hayes
	2400 Baud modem.

	The Hayes modem uses the default factory configuration.  I
	have tried several configurations that work elsewhere with no
	luck, so I reverted to the factory defaults.

System file layout:

/etc/ttys:
	ttyd1 "/etc/getty h" dialup off modem shared # oldname=tty00, hayes

/dev/ttyd1:
	crw-rw-rw-  1 root     system     0,   2 Oct 17 13:40 /dev/ttyd1

/etc/acucap:
	hayes entry is as supplied with the default installation of
	UDTUUCP030 with the exception of the "db" flag for debugging.

/var/uucp/L.sys:
	hobbes Any ACU 2400 555-1212 "" \rogin:-\r-ogin:-BREAK-ogin:
	 Ucalvin ssword: tiger

/var/uucp/L-devices:
	ACU     ttyd1 ttyd1 2400 hayes

/etc/remote:
	hobbes:dv=/dev/ttyd1:br#2400:pn=555-1212:at=hayes:tc=UNIX-2400:

The problem is that when either uucico or tip attempt to dial out,
carrier is apparently detected even before the dialing is completed.
Here is the output from an execution of tip:

% tip hobbes
gen.c: cspeed=-1, dspeed=-1

dialing...Entering generic dialer routine for /dev/ttyd1
num = 546-8931
syncs = d+++dATH
dialstr = ATDT
respsync = OK
compstr =
charup 1
hangup 1
dtr 1
lsleep 1 stupidi 0
dialdel = 50000
cdelay = 50
dialterm =
dtr delay = 0
gensync
output: d+++dATH
input: +++ATH
OK
gendial
dials = ATDT555,1212
output: ATDT555,1212
waiting for carrier
carrier detected			<<************ PROBLEM
input (failed): ATDT555,1212
online failed
gendisconnect
output: d+++dATZ
gendisconnect
output: d+++dATZ
No carrier detected...
output: d+++dATZ  DELAY 2b 2b 2b DELAY 41 54 5a
call failed
[EOT]

The problem is that "carrier detected" is reported immediately.  There
is no delay after "waiting for carrier".

I am in desperate need of some help.  I have a good deal of experience
setting up uucp for serveral other machines and have tried many
different things to no avail.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

--
Dan O'Neill	dan@asihub.uucp    {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dan
Automated Systems, Inc.  San Diego R&D

In article <141@asihub.UUCP> dan@asihub.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) writes:

> UUCP and tip do not seem to function correctly on a DS3100.  Hopefully
> there is an expert on the net who can provide some assistance with
> this problem.

From the discussion over in comp.sys.dec (I think) the serial ports
on the 3100 *do not* include modem control.  If this is so, it would
be almost impossible to get reliable uucp or tip automatic operation.

> The problem is that "carrier detected" is reported immediately.  There
> is no delay after "waiting for carrier".

This would be syptomatic.