[comp.sys.dec] DEC3100 Software Subset Loading

jeuck@unix.SRI.COM (Philip Jeuck) (10/20/89)

I have a brand new DEC3100 that I am trying to bring up.  I loaded the
software subsets that I thought I would need through the menu program
booted from tape.  Now I discover that I need another subset from
tape.  Being new to Ultrix/Unix I foolishly looked in the manuals for
some examples and of course could not find any because you need to
know the command first.  I finally found in the installation guide a
pointer to the magic I needed, setld.  The command

                 setld -i

shows that the system knows about the software subset I need and that
it is NOT installed as I expected so then I used

                 setld /dev/rmt0h -a SUBSETNAME

to try to load the software.  The system obviously searches the entire
tape and then reports that it can not find the subset.  But I know its
on the tape.  I tried again using all uppercase letters but still it
couldn't find it.

What am I doing wrong?  I would prefer not using the menu boot program
on tape to reload the entire system (I have loaded a bunch of other
stuff) but setld -a doesn't seem to work as advertised.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Phil Jeuck
jeuck@unix.sri.com

dbb@riscy.dec.com (David Barrett) (10/20/89)