[comp.sys.dec] VAX 8530

isppb01@discg1.UUCP (dick schlipf) (08/01/89)

Need some basic information about a vax 8530.
thanks in advance.

--
Dick Schlipf  {bpa,osu-cis!dsacg1}!discg1!dschlipf
Defense Industrial Supply Center

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (08/02/89)

In article <2003@discg1.UUCP>, isppb01@discg1.UUCP (dick schlipf) writes:
> Need some basic information about a vax 8530.
> thanks in advance.

	The VAX 8530 is a single processor member of the VAX 8800
	family.  It is a faster version of VAX 8500 and has since
	replaced it.  It is packaged in a cabinet 60 inches tall
	and about 27 inches wide.  The memory and CPU are on a
	private high speed bus (NMI) and use the VAXBI for I/O
	devices.  Up to five MS88 memory boards and Up to two
	VAXBI backplanes are supported.  Using the 64 MB memory
	array the hardware limit for supported memory is 320 MB.
	I don't know what the supported limit for VMS and VAXELN
	are, but Ultrix is limited to 128 MB.

	I believe that the VAXBI backplane that comes in the 8530
	is configured as one 12 slot backplane.  One slot is needed
	for the VAXBI to NMI adapter.  The remaining 11 slots can
	be used for other VAXBI options.  The 12 slot backplane can
	also be configured as two 6 slot backplanes, each needing
	the VAXBI to NMI adapter.  This leaves 5 slots for user
	options in each backplane.  It's also possible to get an
	expansion cabinet for the 2nd VAXBI backplane.  See your
	DEC sales office for details.

	The VAX 8530 is about a 4 VUP processor.  It can be upgraded
	to a VAX 8550 which is about 6 VUPs.  The 2nd VAXBI backplane
	and the VAX 8550 CPU upgrade are limit of expansion possible
	with this system.  If you're buying a new system, you're probably
	better off going with one of the VAX 6000 series.

Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

alan@shodha.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (08/02/89)

	In my previous followup, I said that I thought the VAX 8530
	had a 12 slot VAXBI backplane.  I just checked an old Systems
	and Options catalog and found that it only has a six slot
	backplane.  For more VAXBI expansion you have to get an
	expansion cabinet the 2nd VAXBI channel.
--
Alan Rollow				alan%nabeth.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

In article <2003@discg1.UUCP> isppb01@discg1.UUCP (dick schlipf) writes:
> Need some basic information about a vax 8530.
> thanks in advance.

For a good overview of the newer large DEC systems, call the local office
and ask for a copy of the "VAX Systems Hardware Handbook - VAXBI Systems".

There are also "VAXBI Options Handbook" and "VAX Systems Handbook -
UNIBUS Systems"...

The current editions get as far as the 6200 series...

craig@nwnexus.WA.COM (Craig Suhadolnik) (10/25/89)

My company is searching for a DEC VAX 8530 System.
If anyone has any information regarding a surplus
machine, please give me a call!

Thank You!

Craig Suhadolnik
206/487-3616