[comp.sys.dec] Want X11 help

dir@koala.UUCP (Dan Rosenblatt) (10/25/89)

We here at Sigma are doing a port of our ARRIS software
(architectural CAD) to the DECstation 3100 and X-windows.
We are having problems (to put it mildly) and are getting
almost no help from DEC (local and otherwise).

Anyone out there interested in doing telephone support for $$?
We have ported to several other windowing systems and are
having problems mostly in the area of poor X11 doc and examples.

Thanx
Dan Rosenblatt
Sigma Design
Voice: (303) 790-9080
Email: ..!{udenva|dunike}!koala!dir

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/26/89)

In article <281@koala.UUCP>, dir@koala.UUCP (Dan Rosenblatt) writes:
> Anyone out there interested in doing telephone support for $$?
> We have ported to several other windowing systems and are
> having problems mostly in the area of poor X11 doc and examples.

Sorry, I can't offer direct help, but you may want to look at some of
the excelent X tutorials. The documents on the X tape are really
specifications.  These are much more popular with beginners (listed in
no particular order):

Young, *X Window Systems Programming and Applications With Xt*,
Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-972167-3.
Jones, *Introduction to the X Window System*, Prentice-Hall, ISBN
0-13-499997-5.
O'Reilly and Associates, *The X Window System Series*, 4 volumes, ISBN
0-937175-26-9, 0-937175-27-7, etc.
Johnson & Reichard, *X Window Applications Programming*, MIS: Press,
ISBN 1-55828-016-2.

Also, you should read the "hello, world" paper by Rosenthal that's on
the X tape.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

steve@tacky.UUCP (Steve Cook) (10/27/89)

in article <1980@bacchus.dec.com>, klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) says:

> O'Reilly and Associates, *The X Window System Series*, 4 volumes, ISBN
> 0-937175-26-9, 0-937175-27-7, etc.

  Does this mean that the O'reilly book on the Xt Intrinsics came out??

--
He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.
- M. C. Escher