[comp.sys.dec] third party products for Vaxstation 3100

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (10/27/89)

I know this has been discussed to some extent before, but I
can't find the articles anymore.

I would like to buy a Vaxstation 3100 with the minimum complement
of memory/disk from DEC and add third party products.

If I buy the diskless "Model 30 Diskless Satellite Workstation"
there is no disk controller and I would have to add one.

Do I have to get the minimum amount of disk offered by DEC (52meg RZ22)
and add on from there?  If we get that model, can we swap in someone
elses 104/208/whatever megabyte drive INTERNALLY, or would that require
a different controller?

Does anyone make a drive/controller setup to go inside a diskless VS3100?

As for memory, do they use the "standard" SIMMS that the DECstation 3100 uses?
Are those 1 megabyte or 4 megabyte modules?

What are the current prices for these from non-DEC sources?

Please e-mail me any answers and I'll summarize if there is interest.

Thanks in advance.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

abstine@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) (10/27/89)

From article <4021@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, by envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith):

> I know this has been discussed to some extent before, but I
> can't find the articles anymore.
>
> I would like to buy a Vaxstation 3100 with the minimum complement
> of memory/disk from DEC and add third party products.
>
> If I buy the diskless "Model 30 Diskless Satellite Workstation"
> there is no disk controller and I would have to add one.
>
> Do I have to get the minimum amount of disk offered by DEC (52meg RZ22)
> and add on from there?  If we get that model, can we swap in someone
> elses 104/208/whatever megabyte drive INTERNALLY, or would that require
> a different controller?

DEC makes the SCSI controller available as a separate item now. I believe
it lists for something like $1000.

--
Art Stine
Sr Network Engineer

Wherry@arkham.enet.dec.com (Brad Wherry) (10/27/89)

In article <4021@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith)
writes:

>>Do I have to get the minimum amount of disk offered by DEC (52meg RZ22)
>>and add on from there?  If we get that model, can we swap in someone

The answer is nope.  DEC sells two flavors of the scsi controller separately.
One is the factory installed flavor one is the field installed flavor.  Ie. if
you already have the vaxstation order the field flavor.  Both flavors have the
same functionality.

Model     Description                           Price
VS42D-JF  VS3100 SCSI CNTRL Field Installable	$1000.00
VS42D-JG  VS3100 SCSI CNTRL Factory Installed   $1000.00

--
brad wherry                      uucp  ...!decwrl!starch.enet.dec.com!wherry
                                 inet  wherry@starch.enet.dec.com