[comp.sys.dec] Any experience with new DEC KDM50 XMI bus disk controller?

idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (10/27/89)

From: "Ian! D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen>

Talking over DEC RA90 disk performance and DEC KDB50 controller
performance with various people has led me to believe that the KDB50 is
severely limiting the transfer rate of the disk; even one disk, and I
wanted to put three on it.  I started looking at HSC storage systems,
but I stopped when I found out the price.  DEC then told me about the
new KDM50 controller.

If my preliminary info is correct, a KDM50 controller is a fast(er)
(3.6Mb/s?) XMI bus disk controller that fits in (among other things) a
VAX6000 or DEC5810.  Our local Canadian office doesn't know for sure if
I can order this thing with a 5810; they couldn't even get a price on
it for me today.  Maybe tomorrow.  I want to know how much this thing
costs (US or CDN base), and whether it is available "now", where "now"
is defined to be "available here in Waterloo, Canada, at the same time
as a working DEC5810 complete with Ultrix".  (I understand that the
5810's version of Ultrix isn't quite ready "now"...)

elgie@canisius.UUCP (Bill Elgie) (10/30/89)

In article <12097@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:
> From: "Ian! D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen>
>
> DEC then told me about the new KDM50 controller....
> .....  I want to know how much this thing
> costs (US or CDN base), and whether it is available "now", where "now"
> is defined to be "available here in Waterloo, Canada ....

  The quoted price for the VAX 9000 is apx. $23,000 U.S.   Don't know anything
  about availability (on machines other than the VAX 9000); I've gotten two
  types of answers from DEC:  1) "will be available on VAX 9000 only for the
  time being" - tho the VAX 9000 isn't exactly ready yet, either;  2) "I don't
  know and no one else seems to either"

  greg pavlov (under borrowed account), fstrf, amherst, ny