[comp.sys.dec] What cost, serial I/O ports at 19.2kbps?

idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (10/27/89)

From: "Ian! D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen>

We have an 8600 running 4.3bsd with a DMF-32 (2 modem-control serial
lines, 6 dumb serial lines, parallel port) and two DMZ-32's (two times
24 modem-control serial lines).  (I moved two of our telebit modems over
to the DMF after I found out that the DMZ just could not do 19.2kbps.)

I went DEC catalogue (catalog) shopping for serial lines for the
replacement DECsystem 5810 we are considering (VAXBI bus), and was amazed
at how expensive things are -- about three times the price-per-port of a
Q-bus serial controller.  I think I'm going to buy a Q-bus serial
controller for each of our MVII and VS3200 Q-bus machines instead.
Why are these VAXBI serial controllers so expensive?

elgie@canisius.UUCP (Bill Elgie) (10/30/89)

In article <12098@watcgl.waterloo.edu>, idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:
> From: "Ian! D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen>
>
> I went DEC catalogue (catalog) shopping for serial lines for the
> replacement DECsystem 5810 we are considering (VAXBI bus), and was amazed
> at how expensive things are -- about three times the price-per-port of a
> Q-bus serial controller....
> Why are these VAXBI serial controllers so expensive?

  EVERYTHING is more expensive for the VAXBI.  Why ?  Best guess is because
  DEC has no competition for add-ons to the bus.

  While the 5810 is a system with significant longterm potential for growth
  and upgradeability, it remains to be seen  whether DEC will follow through.
  I (a "veteran" of DEC-20, DEC Professional, and MicroVAX, among others) have
  my suspicions and reservations....

  In the meantime, the 5810 is an expensive machine to own and operate, parti-
  cularly when compared to the 5400 (we ordered one of each).

  greg pavlov (under borrowed account), fstrf, amherst, ny