[comp.sys.dec] what connector for DS3100 serial port?

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (11/14/89)

Does anyone know what connector is needed for the serial/printer port
on a DECstation-3100? I assume it's an RJ-something, but don't know
what kind.

I want to connect this to an RS232 device (modem). If you've done this,
and found someone who sells the appropriate cable, please send mail.

thanx,

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)

In article <13819@boulder.Colorado.EDU> grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu writes:

> Does anyone know what connector is needed for the serial/printer port
> on a DECstation-3100? I assume it's an RJ-something, but don't know
> what kind.

It's simlar to a 6-pin RJ11 style plug, but DEC has made it physically
incompatible by offsetting the keying/lock thingie.  For temporary kludges
you can use the RJ style after improving it with your handy x-acto knife,
otherwise your better off trying to find ready made cables - maybe Inmac
Black Box or DECdirect.  You can also get the pieces and tools from some
of the connector/cable vendors if you shop around.

> I want to connect this to an RS232 device (modem). If you've done this,
> and found someone who sells the appropriate cable, please send mail.

Remember that there is no "modem control" on those connectors, so anything
beyond manual operation of a hayes type modem is rather problematical...