[comp.sys.dec] Gray-scale PMAX ????

sritacco@hpdml93.HP.COM (Steve Ritacco) (11/16/89)

I picked up the technical description of the DECStation 3100 off
the DEC public FTP server, and after reading it I have a few questions.
Are the frame buffer boards in the monochrome and color systems the
same except for the memory chips.  The description of the PCC (programable
cursor chip) mentions that on a monochrome system that the cursor may have
gray levels.  Does this mean that the DECStation is capable of gray-scale
operation?  I guess DEC doesn't sell it that way, but what happens if you
connect a DEC monochrome monitor to a color system?  Do you get 256 gray
levels?

rwood@vajra.dec.com (Richard Wood) (11/18/89)

In article <15500001@hpdml93.HP.COM>, sritacco@hpdml93.HP.COM (Steve
Ritacco) writes:
> I picked up the technical description of the DECStation 3100 off
> the DEC public FTP server, and after reading it I have a few questions.
> Are the frame buffer boards in the monochrome and color systems the
> same except for the memory chips.  The description of the PCC (programable
> cursor chip) mentions that on a monochrome system that the cursor may have
> gray levels.  Does this mean that the DECStation is capable of gray-scale
> operation?  I guess DEC doesn't sell it that way, but what happens if you
> connect a DEC monochrome monitor to a color system?  Do you get 256 gray
> levels?

The two SIMMS are different.

The color simm uses 256K x 4 VRAMS, Mono uses 64K x 4.

The drivers are different.  The etch is different.  The concept and
impelementation are
covered and fully disclosed in DIGITAL patent #xxxxxxxx (An easily
upgradable video system).

The PCC conects to the Video DAC and can be programmed with up to 16
grey/color levels.  This
is not exposed through X windows.

You can connect a mono monitor to a color system.  Green goes to mono.
50 ohm terminators
must be installed on the Red and Blue BNC's.  All 256 levels will be
displayable.

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Wood     Corporate Worksystems Team      Digital Equipment Corp.

jg@athabasca.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (11/22/89)

The frame buffer boards for mono and color are different; one is 8
bits/pixel, and the
other is one bit/pixel; the addressing is different.  It is more than
just additional
VRAM.

You are welcome to connect a mono monitor to a "color" pmax, and get a
grey-scale machine.
If you order off the menu, rather than one of the stock configurations, you
can configure a machine this way.  It may take a bit longer to be
shipped, as the
standard configurations are set up for immediate shipment (which is why
they are "stock" configurations); manufacturing doesn't have to think about
the order to ship it...

Jim Gettys
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory

wyatt@cfa.HARVARD.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (11/22/89)

From article <1302@crltrx.crl.dec.com>, by jg@athabasca.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys):
 < [...]
 < You are welcome to connect a mono monitor to a "color" pmax, and get a
 < grey-scale machine.
 < [...]

Remember to two 75-ohm terminators to connect to the unused red and
blue video lines; you'll likely have ghosts otherwise.

Bill Wyatt, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)
    UUCP :  {husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
    ARPA:   wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu
    SPAN:   cfa::wyatt                 BITNET: wyatt@cfa