[comp.sys.dec] Building xrn on a pmax

jwb@lindenthal.cae.ri.cmu.edu (John Baugh) (11/27/89)

I compiled xrn on a pmax and it seems to work (mostly) fine.
However, when trying to compile I lacked some /usr/include/X11
headers that I subsequently grabbed from a convenient place.
These included Dialog.h, Box.h, Scroll.h, etc. (Athena widgets?)

Anyway, upon invoking xrn I get the following warning:

  X Toolkit Warning: Widget class Text version mismatch:
    widget 7001 vs. intrinsics 11003.

In addition, there are certain operations within my xrn that are
broken, like goto newsgroup, save article, and some others.  By broken
I mean xrn goes off into never-never land---I think these operations
are *supposed* to prompt the user for information.  Perhaps the
versions of the header files I snarfed don't match my libXaw.a???

If this is indeed the case, can someone tell me how to find out what
version of the header files I need, and where I might find them?

Please reply to jwb@cepmax.ncsu.edu.

Thanks,
John

frank@croton.enet.dec.COM (Frank Wortner) (11/28/89)

=
= ... can someone tell me how to find out what
= version of the header files I need, and where I might find them?

The files you are looking for are in /usr/include/mit/X11.  Add
-I/usr/include/mit to the C compiler options, and everything should
be just fine.

Regards,
						Frank

beldar@mips.COM (Gardner Cohen) (11/28/89)

jwb@lindenthal.cae.ri.cmu.edu (John Baugh) writes:

   I compiled xrn on a pmax and it seems to work (mostly) fine.
   However, when trying to compile I lacked some /usr/include/X11
   headers that I subsequently grabbed from a convenient place.  These
   included Dialog.h, Box.h, Scroll.h, etc. (Athena widgets?)

Someone else mentioned the correct place to find the include files,
which I think are not installed by default.  I think the
/usr/include/mit stuff is on the 'unsupported' tape.

   In addition, there are certain operations within my xrn that are
   broken, like goto newsgroup, save article, and some others.  By
   broken I mean xrn goes off into never-never land---I think these
   operations are *supposed* to prompt the user for information.
   Perhaps the versions of the header files I snarfed don't match my
   libXaw.a???

Check config.h.  The latest version of xrn has a #define that
addresses your problem.  Popups dumped core before we did this.

*** config.h~	Thu Nov  2 23:02:21 1989
--- config.h	Thu Nov  2 23:36:20 1989
***************
***************
*** 133,141 ****
   * if popup dialogs cause core dumps or behave strangely, define
   * ACCELERATORBUG - you will need to do this if you have not installed
   * MIT patch #8 - this is the case for DEC UWS 2.1 (ULTRIX/RISC)
   */
! /* #define ACCELERATORBUG */

  /* #define TRANSLATIONBUG */	/* DEC (VMS) X windows release */
  /* #define ERRORBUG */		/* DEC (VMS) X windows release */

--- 133,141 ----
   * if popup dialogs cause core dumps or behave strangely, define
   * ACCELERATORBUG - you will need to do this if you have not installed
   * MIT patch #8 - this is the case for DEC UWS 2.1 (ULTRIX/RISC)
   */
! #define ACCELERATORBUG /**/

  /* #define TRANSLATIONBUG */	/* DEC (VMS) X windows release */
  /* #define ERRORBUG */		/* DEC (VMS) X windows release */

Also, don't forget to set the DOMAIN and HIDDENNET stuff (unless you
create all the strange config files that xrn wants).  Otherwise, any
articles you post look like they came from Berkelely.
--
Gardner Cohen     beldar@mips.com

In article <32210@rimulac.mips.COM>, beldar@mips.COM (Gardner Cohen) writes:

> Someone else mentioned the correct place to find the include files,
> which I think are not installed by default.  I think the
> /usr/include/mit stuff is on the 'unsupported' tape.

You're batting .500 on this one  :-)

The include files in /usr/include/mit are in the Ultrix subset UWXDEV020,
"Worksystem Development Software."  This *is* a supported subset and is
not part of the 'unsupported' tape.

						Frank