[comp.sys.dec] connecting a televideo 950 to a vax through a modem

canoaf@ntvax.uucp (Augustine Cano) (11/23/89)

I am posting this for a friend without net.news access.  He can receive
e-mail, though, so please answer his questions via e-mail to the address
below:

He has received one answer to his query from a local user group (included
below) that seems to imply that what he is attempting is nearly impossible.
I have a hard time believing this, is this terminal so non-standard? or is
it the vax?

Any help in locating a manual (or photocopies thereof) will surely be
appreciated as well.

Here goes what he wrote:

Ref: Televideo terminial(MDL950) to Vax thru a Modem(Packard Bell2400BPI)

I am trying to connect TeleVideo terminal to vax thru a modem. With the
help of 'Vax users group forum'(Texas A&M only), there are some progress.
but i still can not work out. The following is the last mail i sent to the
VAXFORUM.

I connected Televideo to Modem:

modem:          1   2   3   4   5   7   6  (8)   20
                |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |    |
                |   |   |   -----   |   ----------
                |   |   |           |
TeleVideo:      1   2   3           7

I tried both connecting 8 to 6 and 20 and disconnecting 8. The samething
happened as this:

AT D 8459311            (when i input)
CONNECT 2400            (after dial tone)
@@y@@@@s@@z@@@$         (after about 30second)
NO CARRIER              (then the phone line hangs up.)

I also tried:
modem:          1   2   3   4   5   7   6  (8)   20
                |   |   |   |   |   |   |   |    |
                |   |   |   -----   |   ----------
                |   |   |           |       |
TeleVideo:      1   2   3           7       20

The result was same, but the TR panel light(terminal ready) on the modem was on.

The following is the pin assignments of modem, hope this helpfull for Y'all
to gave me further suggestions.

Pin #   Circuit         Description                     Direction
 1       AA             protect ground                  ...
 2       BA             transmit data                   TO modem
 3       BB             receive data                    FROM modem
 4       CA             request to send                 TO modem
 5       CB             clear to send                   FROM modem
 6       CC             data set ready                  FROM modem
 7       AB             signal return                   ...
 8       CF             carrier detect                  FROM modem
12       CI             select alternate                FROM modem
15       DB             transmit clock(synch)           FROM modem
17       DD             receive clock(synch)            FROM modem
20       CD             data terminal ready             TO modem
22       CE             ring indicator                  FROM modem
23       CI             select alternate rate           FROM modem
24       DA             transmit clock(DTE source)      TO modem
(DTE: Date Terminal Equipment)

Follows Antek's suggestion, I can setup TeleVideo terminal(MDL950) by
arrows and 't'key. But there are only 7 fields can be chosen:
        DUPE or LOCE
        EDTL or EDTP or INSP or INSL
        KLOK or none
        PROT or none
        GRPH or H.I. or none
        FDX  or BLK  or LOC  or  HDX
        ...  or 1200 or 2400 or  ...
Is that all? and How to set a terminal like "8bits, no parity", "1 stop bit",
"no local echo", and etc.?

Does anyone know how to set the FUNCTION switch on the back of a
Televideo terminal(MDL950)?

                -------------------------------------
                | on                                |
Swich 2         |     1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 |
(Function)      | off                               |
                -------------------------------------

And here goes the only answer he's got so far:

From:   ZAC::VAXFORUM     "VAX Users Group Forum" 14-NOV-1989 16:39
To:     VAXFORUM-MEMBER
Subj:   televideo 950

Boy, you guys just don't give up on that Televideo-to-VAX stuff! Here is the
number to Televideo Systems, Inc. (408) 745-7760. I spent a lot of time talking
to those people trying to get my Televideo 950 to talk to the VAX, but the
bottom line was that without special mods it won't work. However, there's the
number if you have specific questions about pins and such. If someone does
manage to get it to work, please let me know!!!

richard griffith

So, there you have it, net.land.  Does anybody know anything about this?
Remember, please contact my friend directly at:

snoopy@altger.UUCP (Mathias Niemz) (11/26/89)

I just use my normal terminal-cable to connect modem and terminal (to check
my x25-software). The pins 1-7 and 20 are connected direct. No problems with
different terminals.
--
uucp: ...!pyramid!netmbx!altger!snoopy or ...!uunet!altnet!altger!snoopy
Snailmail: Mathias Niemz, Preussenallee 23, D-1000 Berlin 19

terrih@mcnc.org (Terri W. Hardwick) (12/01/89)

Sorry, but mail didn't work -

In article <1989Nov23.051359.5263@ntvax.uucp> canoaf@ntvax.uucp (Augustine Cano) writes:

>Ref: Televideo terminial(MDL950) to Vax thru a Modem(Packard Bell2400BPI)

Our TVI's work just fine.  We have 950's and 924's.  We use XON-XOFF,
and connect 2,3,7 & 20.  They are connected to a Develcon Develnet
switching system, which connects the terminal to a port on one of the
8650's.  When we send them home with people to use with modems, the
cable we give them only has 2,3 & 7.

We use the following switch settings -
S2 - 1234567890
     udddduduuu

S1 = baud rate for comm port and printer port

I don't know if our termcap entry is standard or has been modified.

Terri Hardwick
terrih@mcnc.org