[comp.sys.dec] Help with Emulex SC750 controller

jimw@bucket.UUCP (Jim Willing) (12/02/89)

Having one heck of a time trying to set up some drives on a Vax 750 with
am Emulex SC750 emulating SMD controller.

Installing it was straight forward enough, but we did not get cables with
the board.  Did not seem much of a problem as SMD cables are standard enough
but I come to find that Emulex splits the 60 pin 'A' cable off into a 34 pin
and 26 pin connector where it connects to their 'paddle board'.

So... we tried the obvious.  Run lines 1-36 to the first connector, and lines
37-60 to the second connector.  Seemed reasonable, but it don't seem to work.

Is anyone familiar with this configuration, and perhaps have the pinouts for
the split 'A' cable that this controller needs?  Or even just someone to confirm
that our assumption was correct and we should start looking for a problem
somewhere else...

Help... please... (whimper) Thanks...
-jim

And yes, I do intend to try and give Emulex a call later in the week, but I
thot I'd give it a try here first...

Replys probably best Emailed to the following so as not to clutter up the net...

--
usually found at:    ..tektronix!tessi!bucket!jimw	| All rights reserved.
              or:    ..tektronix!percival!bucket!jimw	|

In article <1787@bucket.UUCP> jimw@bucket.UUCP (Jim Willing) writes:
> Having one heck of a time trying to set up some drives on a Vax 750 with
> am Emulex SC750 emulating SMD controller.
>
> Installing it was straight forward enough, but we did not get cables with
> the board.  Did not seem much of a problem as SMD cables are standard enough
> but I come to find that Emulex splits the 60 pin 'A' cable off into a 34 pin
> and 26 pin connector where it connects to their 'paddle board'.
>
> So... we tried the obvious.  Run lines 1-36 to the first connector, and lines
> 37-60 to the second connector.  Seemed reasonable, but it don't seem to work.

The second connector plugs in "backwards" from the first one or some similar
confusion.  That is, if you wire it up the obvious way, when you plug in the
second, smaller connector you want to ignore the pin 1 indication and plug it
in upside-down. I suffered extreme pain from this a couple years ago, but had
almost mangaged to repress the entire incident...