[comp.sys.dec] 3100 mix and match

Uh...  If I have a color VAXstation 3100 and a monochrome DECstation 3100,
can I somehow swap the display controller components and get me a color
PMAX and and monochrome PVAX?  Monochrome at this kind of low resolution
is such a sad joke in this day and age...

rwood@dec.com (Richard Wood) (11/29/89)

In article <8732@cbmvax.UUCP>, grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> Uh...  If I have a color VAXstation 3100 and a monochrome DECstation 3100,
> can I somehow swap the display controller components and get me a color
> PMAX and and monochrome PVAX?  Monochrome at this kind of low resolution
> is such a sad joke in this day and age...

No.  The two designs were completely independent.

*UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T in the U.S. and other countries.
-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Wood     Corporate Worksystems Team      Digital Equipment Corp.

abstine@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) (11/29/89)

From article <8732@cbmvax.UUCP>, by grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins):
> Uh...  If I have a color VAXstation 3100 and a monochrome DECstation 3100,
> can I somehow swap the display controller components and get me a color
> PMAX and and monochrome PVAX?  Monochrome at this kind of low resolution
> is such a sad joke in this day and age...

Uh... no... the PMAX and PVAX use a completely different frame buffer, the
pVAXes (color) being a GPX processor and the PMAX being a dumb color or
monochrome frame buffer driven by the CPU. I don't think DEC has an upgrade
option for the PMAX to upgrade from mono to color even.

--
Art Stine
Sr Network Engineer

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (11/29/89)

In article <1989Nov28.191803.18970@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>,
abstine@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Arthur Stine) writes:
< From article <8732@cbmvax.UUCP>, by grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins):
< > Uh...  If I have a color VAXstation 3100 and a monochrome DECstation 3100,
< > can I somehow swap the display controller components and get me a color
< > PMAX and and monochrome PVAX?  Monochrome at this kind of low resolution
< > is such a sad joke in this day and age...
< >
< Uh... no... the PMAX and PVAX use a completely different frame buffer, the
< pVAXes (color) being a GPX processor and the PMAX being a dumb color or
< monochrome frame buffer driven by the CPU. I don't think DEC has an upgrade
< option for the PMAX to upgrade from mono to color even.

What were the reasons for not using the GPX processor in the DS3100?
To go to a dumb frame buffer driven by the CPU seems like a giant step
backward.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (11/30/89)

this was hashed out in comp.arch a while back. DEC claims that the CPU
is memory bandwidth limited anyway, and that a GPX-like processor
wouldn't buy them anything.  It's also cheaper to not have a GPX
processor. For B/W performance, I'd agree. I don't know how the
colorad DS3100's perform.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)
						(grunwald@boulder.colorado.edu)

eric@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Eric Fielding) (11/30/89)

In a recent article envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) wrote:
>What were the reasons for not using the GPX processor in the DS3100?
>To go to a dumb frame buffer driven by the CPU seems like a giant step
>backward.
>Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)

I can't comment on DEC's reasoning, but the people in the department next door
told me that the DS3100 seems to outperform the VAXstation 3540 at some
graphics tasks.  Especially since there is no documented way to access the
special graphics processors in the 3540.  It would also seem like it would
agree with the 'RISC' philosophy to avoid putting complex operations into
hardware or firmware.
					++Eric Fielding
eric@geology.tn.cornell.edu

neideck@kaputt.dec.com (Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz) (11/30/89)

Brian V. Smith writes:

>>> What were the reasons for not using the GPX processor in the DS3100?
>>> To go to a dumb frame buffer driven by the CPU seems like a giant step
>>> backward.

One reason was that it was cheaper and faster to develop this way and the
other (mayor) reason is that this actually is 2-4 times *faster* than
using the GPX chip set. For monochrome the choice was clear, we weren't
so sure about the color case at first. Turns out that with the sole
exception of scrolling the dumb frame buffer with CPU is faster than
the GPX hardware by large amounts.

Take a look at a DECstation 3100 running UWS2.1 (or 2.2...).

	Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (11/30/89)

The color decstation performs about as fast as the balck and white
version.  That is truely remarkable (and good).

--Mike Meyer
Statistics, CMU

rwood@vajra.dec.com (Richard Wood) (11/30/89)

In article <4305@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V.
Smith) writes:
> What were the reasons for not using the GPX processor in the DS3100?
> To go to a dumb frame buffer driven by the CPU seems like a giant step
> backward.

The graphics performance of the DS3100 is substantially faster than the
GPX subsystem would allow, even without an accelerator.  While the GPX
subsystem would have reduced the CPU load somewhat, it also would have
forced an upper limit on the graphics performance of the machine.

Considering that adding in the additional subsystem would take
additional time, increase cost and complexity - all without adding
substantial performance gains - it became obvious that the solution was
a dumb frame buffer.  The philosophy was "we got this extremely high
powered chip in the middle of this design, let's make it work for a
living."  Thus the elimination of DMA and graphics accelerators made the
system much simpler to design, less expensive, and much more reliable
when complete.

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Wood     Corporate Worksystems Team      Digital Equipment Corp.

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (12/05/89)

Sorry, the DECstation and VAXstation use completely differet display
hardware; you
can't mix and match anything but the monitors (which are shared in common
between the machines.

Jim Gettys
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (12/06/89)

The GPX on the PMAX would have been a "graphics decellerator".

For example, at best, the GPX can do around 20k characters/second.
PMAX does around 50-60K characters/second (in color, monochrome is
yet faster; R4 numbers are around 100k for color).

Similar numbers apply for almost all graphics operations, with
the exception of aligned raster-op, where memory bandwidth on the
PMAX is less than that available on the GPX.  The unaligned case,
which one might have expected the hardware to help on, turns
out to be slower in hardware than the PMAX does in software.
Everything else is much faster.

On the whole, for most applications, the PMAX outperforms a GPX system
by a large margin.  For complex stuff, a large multiple indeed.

So go look at real numbers before coming to any conclusions on graphics
performance.  The x11perf program will give you an interesting set
of performance numbers to work from.
				- Jim Gettys