[comp.sys.dec] VS-3100 R/W CD ~2 buy

eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) (12/09/89)

I bought a widely-advertized Erasable-Optical drive from <deleted, send
mail for details> which was touted to work on a VS-3100 SCSI.  WARNING-
it does not work.  At all.  It turns out it worked with earlier 3100's
but not with recent models (the manufacturer says).  Something to do with
SCSI protocols.

I don't want to give these guys all bad marks - they are sending me a
substitue magnetic drive until the problem is solved, and I think this
was as much a surprize to them as it was to me.  That's why I'm leaving
their name out of this note.  But if you must know, send me mail.

Ed Mills
Harris Semi
Melbourne, FL

djh@illini.osc.edu (David Heisterberg) (12/10/89)

In article <869@soleil.UUCP>, eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes:
> I bought a widely-advertized Erasable-Optical drive from <deleted, send
> mail for details> which was touted to work on a VS-3100 SCSI.  WARNING-
> it does not work.  At all.  It turns out it worked with earlier 3100's
> but not with recent models (the manufacturer says).  Something to do with
> SCSI protocols.
--------
I'm not shy, I'll say who I bought mine from, Trimarchi.  Now I'm sending
it back.  I talked to a tech guy from American Digital Systems who
suggested that I wait until the OD vendors had some experience with VMS 5.3
before buying.  His explanation: there are at least 4 SCSI firmware revs in
the VS3100, the ADS product works with two of them under 5.2.  The SCSI
firmware reports incorrect information about the optical disk.  The drivers
(PKN?) in 5.2 accept this info and cannot handle the disk.  Ultrix drivers
seem to ignore this information, and it is hoped that the 5.3 drivers will
as well.

If anyone knows the real story behind this, I'd love to hear it.  I have
racks full of software on tapes and several large chemical databases that
I need to have on optical disk.

DJ Heisterberg			djh@osc.edu
The Ohio Supercomputer Center	djh@ohstpy.bitnet
1224 Kinnear Rd.		ohstpy::djh