[comp.sys.dec] VaxStation II console port

garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (11/22/89)

On the back of VaxStation II's, there is what appears to be a console port.
Can anyone tell me what the major and minor device #'s would be to access
this port  (for Ultrix)??

Thanks

Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of Illinois
Internet: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (11/23/89)

In article <1989Nov22.133112.2078@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:

> On the back of VaxStation II's, there is what appears to be a console port.
> Can anyone tell me what the major and minor device #'s would be to access
> this port  (for Ultrix)??

You are correct; it is the "console" device.  You can either do a
"mknod /dev/ttycp c 38 0" or "cd /dev ; MAKEDEV ttycp"  to create it.

It can be used for logins, printers, etc.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

kandler@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Matthias Kandler) (11/23/89)

In article <4280@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>"mknod /dev/ttycp c 38 0" or "cd /dev ; MAKEDEV ttycp"  to create it.
>
>It can be used for logins, printers, etc.

Really? It seems that the ttycp driver of Ultrix 3.1 can't generate 7bit/even
output. In 8bit/noparity mode it can't handle XON/XOFF flow control. It
worked in Ultrix 2.2.
~~~
Matthias Kandler  Inst. f. Informatik     LOC=lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
                  TU Muenchen             kandler@LOC
                  Postfach 20 24 20       kandler%LOC@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net}
                  D-8000 Muenchen 2       Telefon: (089) 2105 2025
"Stan and I thought that this experiment was so stupid, we decided to finance
 it ourselves."
-- Martin Fleischmann, co-discoverer of room-temperature fusion (?)

jeff@imokay.dec.com (Jeff Janock) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Nov22.133112.2078@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
>On the back of VaxStation II's, there is what appears to be a console port.
>Can anyone tell me what the major and minor device #'s would be to access
>this port  (for Ultrix)??

Hi,

the port you refer to is the "console port" when not being used as a
workstation.  So, when up as a workstation, then /dev/console is assigned
to the session manager window (if you use it) or dumps elsewhere
major/minor 0/0 -

I use this port for some stuff (modem work etc)...

to use this port when running as a workstation, here is an ls -l

crw-rw-rw-  1 root      38,   0 Dec 11 11:12 /dev/ttycp

You can do (as root):
# cd /dev
# MAKEDEV ttycp

and the correct device will be made...

please note you need to set the baud rate with the dial selector
in the rear of the unit - 2400bps works fine -

You also need a 9pin to 25pin cable to utilize 'normal' rs232 devices...

another gotcha, is that this port is character interrupt driven - steady
stream of data either way keeps my GPX at loads over 2 (at 2400baud)!!!

have fun...	-jj

--
Jeff Janock @ Digital  <jeff@imokay.enet.dec.com> +1 508 486 6102